New member - Need advice

miracletaz
on 10/2/14 6:11 am

Hi - My name is Linda

Had lapband surgery in 2008, but it failed as surgeon failed to correct large hernia.  Was revised to gastric bypass, but because of scar tissue,  pouch could not be made very small.  Did lose 80 pounds, but have gained 30 back, and now struggling with significant anemia. Goal would be to lose the 30, and continue to get a healthier weight.  I am 58 years old.

I can do the work needed to lose the weight, but the anemia is just so hard to contend with.  Does anyone know if the gastric bypass can be converted to a surgery that is not so prone to anemia.  I'm interested in the sleeve surgery, but don't know if that has anemia associated with it.  Very worried about living with this level of anemia for the rest of my life.

Would not return to surgeon that did the lapband, even though she is held in high regard.  Would like a surgeon in the Phoenix area that is amazing at revisions. (Not Blackstone).

Thanks in adanvce.

Linda

MsBatt
on 10/2/14 8:23 am

Which is more important? Losing more weight, or improving your anemia? Is your anemia the result of low iron? (Not all anemia is iron related.)

If it IS iron-deficient anemia, revising to a Sleeve *might* improve things. Low iron is pretty common in both the RNY and the DS, because both bypass most of the duodenum, where iron is mostly absorbed.

Now---the DS is the surgery option most likely to give you more weight loss, because with the DS you will always and forever malabsorb a significant per centage of the calories you eat. (With your RNY, your body has probably managed to overcome your original malabsorption of calories by about 18-24 months post-op. Malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals NEVER goes away.)

You need a surgeon who is highly experienced in doing a true RNY-to-DS revision, even if you opt for just the Sleeve. (The DS has a Sleeved stomach.) In order to revise an RNY to a Sleeve, the pouch and the remnant stomach have to be sewn back together first, then a Sleeve made. Pretty complicated, and you're probably going to HAVE to travel to find a qualified surgeon.

I suggest you go to FaceBook and join a group called Duodenal Switch Patients and ask there about surgeon advice.

Most Active