new to the forum

msallinger
on 9/25/14 6:49 am

Hi everyone,  I had Rny surgery Feb. 2001 and have gained 90lbs back.  2 weeks ago I started inquiring about revision surgery.  I went back to my original surgeon and now I have a surgery date for Lap band surgery on Oct 23.  The whole process in 1 month.  What a whirl wind.  I am still trying to make appointments with a counselor and dietitian. 

My question, one of many lol'.  Has anyone else had success with this route?    

Hislady
on 9/25/14 12:15 pm - Vancouver, WA

Well there are others here who have had BOB, band over bypass, and it "seems" to work well but there are no long term studies that I've heard of. I DO know that the band is a horribly damaging piece of garbage and is only supposed to be kept on for 10 years and then what do you do. Most virgin bandsters end up having to revise before 5 years because of the damage done to their stomachs with the band so it isn't the best option in my book, Research all you can and don't rush into anything. There are alot of new procedures out there and many haven't been out long enough for good information to be out there on them.

msallinger
on 9/25/14 12:45 pm

Thx Hislady for your response.  My Dr only does lap-band surgeries at this time.  I have not done the reseach, I do feel like this is going to fast. I want to fix my weight problem but I do think I need to interview different surgeons, and do my reseach.  Thx for enlightening me on the lifespan and problem with the lapband.

Jo 1962
on 10/2/14 2:07 pm - NearHouston, TX

Hi Msallinger:

If I were you, I would go to a different doctor.  So many doctors are refusing to do lap bands anymore because they've seen the damage they can cause and the high failure rate.  Four years ago, I wanted the lapband and thought I would succeed if I "followed the rules".  While I am happy that I am no longer a size 24 and lost my comorbidities, its just not worth the daily struggle anymore, dealing with the fickleness and pain of this band.   I lost 80 pounds and have gained back around 30 lbs.    I am revising to the sleeve.  I have one more nutritionist appointment on Oct 15th and then my paperwork can finally be submitted.

Yes, please do your research this time and stay away from those "band mills".  I wish I had done more four years ago and I'm thankful to have this second chance.  Best of luck to you!

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

msallinger
on 10/3/14 1:13 am

Thank you Jo,

I have canceled everything until I do some more research.   I think the term "band mills"  fits.

Thx

Most Active