Lapand to DS Revision

Bywater
on 9/17/14 4:06 am

I had a lap band placed in 2006 - bad decision and zero research before hand followed by a job change that wouldn't cover anything at all. I lost 82 lbs.  FF to 2013 - I've maintained 62 lbs of loss.  However, I've had problems for several years and was just diagnosed with Type II Diabetes.

I'm still MO with a BMI of 43 and my insurance will cover revision surgery.

Anyone moved from Lap band to DS?

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/17/14 8:03 am

Many, but not necessarily on this board or site. If you found and understand the DS, it sounds like you did your due diligence and found the surest surgery this time. 

I remember those lap band commercials back then. So emotional and really tugged on the heart strings, like the one where the woman just wanted to play with and be around for her children, or the one where they wanted to fly to Europe and marry. Lots of that stuff to distract you from looking for facts. I'm glad bands are phasing out.

One big plus for you is that the band while it may have left some scarring or thickening, your stomach wasn't cut up as if you are revising from RNY, which is much much higher risk to revise.

Another bullet you seem to be dodging is that many insurance companies are now saying one WLS per lifetime, regardless of who paid for the first. My poor SIL self paid for a band back in 06 or 07, and now she has insurance that covers FIRST time WLS, and they removed the band only because of life threatening complications, but not pay for revision of any kind because of that one WLS/life time clause. They didn't even pay for her first WLS to begin with. 

Not any DS surgeon can repair the pouch stomach of rny back to make the sleeve for the DS, but any decent DS surgeon should be able to remove that band and proceed with a sleeve/DS. 

I was just just on the cusp of type2 diabetes, and was insulin resistant. That has been completely resolved for almost 7 years, as well as every other co-morb I had. I'm careful to take my vitamins, and the DS has been like a miracle for me. I think you're making a wise choice.

Most Active