Sleeve to bpd/ds

Jells78
on 9/4/14 1:40 pm

I had my sleeve in 2012 and my Initial weight was 420. I am down to 320 but regaining slowly . My bmi is 52.5. My doctor is suggesting the bpd/ds. I am 36 fairly healthy and I am trying to find anyone who has done this revision or has any help info on the difference betweent bypass and ds. Please and thank you

Hislady
on 9/5/14 5:03 am - Vancouver, WA

Try posting this on the DS forum and read dsfacts.com for more info.

Chilipepper
on 9/6/14 11:19 am

I would go to the DS board. Sometimes a restrictive procedure isn't enough. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Jells78
on 9/10/14 1:27 pm

I am trying to find the ds forum....how do I?

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/7/14 12:10 pm

The sleeve is half of the DS, so I assume your surgeon is only adding the bypass part. There are folks that had their DS in two parts, so basically the same as you are talking about. 

With DS, like the sleeve, you will stiill be able to take NSAIDs for pain, but will now have the addition of malabsorbtion, mostly of fats, so if cholesterol is an issue it's doubly helpful. Rny differs here, as the malabsorbtion of nutrients continues forever in both sugeries, but RNY starts absorbing calories again after approximately 2 years, whereas DS always malabsorbs calories which is one way it helps maintain the weight loss. 

RNY may also have the risk of dumping or reactive hypoglycemia, whereas DS and sleeve do not. Like the others mentioned, there are others who have had the sleeve, then the rest of the DS, but not necessarily hanging around here.

MsBatt
on 9/9/14 8:20 am

The long-term results are what matter. The Sleeve and the RNY/gastric bypass have pretty much the SAME long-term results, so I can't see any benefit in losing your pylorus, losing the ability to take NSAIDs, and adding life-time malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals.

Given your BMI, the DS is your best bet for achieving and MAINTAINING a normal BMI. The DS has the very best long-term results for patients of ANY size, but this is especially true for those with a BMI greater than 50. The DS will also cause you lifetime malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals, but it will give you life-time malabsorption of calories as well.

pineview01
on 9/10/14 12:26 pm - Davison, MI

Your doctor is giving you good advise as the others have stated.  The DS used to be done in two surgeries in high risk patients to get enough weight off to make the by-pass part of the surgery safer.  So you have the first half and he is just suggesting the second stage of the DS.  What I think you are asking is the difference between RNY and DS.  Both surgeries include a "bypass" but they are done differently.   With the RNY you will lose you pylorus valve (this closes down for solid protien to digest longer and open for fluids to go thru faster,) and if the man made stoma-opening-stretches, which many report here, than the food "falls" right into the intestines and you are always hungery

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Chilipepper
on 9/10/14 12:40 pm

Go get a consult. There are benefits to both the RNy and the DS. For your starting weight I would consult for a DS. But if that isn't an option, the RNy will help you out also. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active