Approved for RNY Revision

Christine F.
on 8/30/14 12:09 am - West Allis, WI

I had my original RNY in September 2004 and lost 1/2 of my original 340 pounds.  Did a lot of living and changing in the years between then and now.  Alas, I lost my insurance in 2009 one week after I had my son.  I was not able to keep up on post surgery aftercare, labs, therapy, etc.  I have now regained about 100 pounds and my Co-morbidities have resurfaced and brought about some new ones, I decided to seek out revision surgery. Had to jump through all the same hoops plus new ones (support group attendance). I now have a new surgery date of 9/29/2014 and an super excited. I know better now what to expect and what my pitfalls may be. I have great faith that this will be the tool that I need to get me where I want to be again. Now with 3 kids, I have all the more reason to get me in the best shape I can be. 

Racewalker48
on 8/30/14 12:20 am
RNY on 02/17/14

Congratulations on your revision surgery date.  I am curious, what exactly will be done during this revision surgery? 

Christine F.
on 8/31/14 1:42 am - West Allis, WI

Thank you. I believe that the plan for the revision is to lengthen the limb which affects the malabsorbtion factor. I'm going also that he adjusts the pouch size as well. I will find out all details on the 18th which is my final consultative Dr. Chiang.  

I'm super excited and have been reading my blog from my initial journey to remind myself of the good and bad. . Even though it was only 10 years ago, it's been a lifetime filled with marriage,  3 kids, new house, loss of my brother, loss of insurance and tons of medical issues.  I'm ecstatic about being given a second chance. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/14 2:08 am - NJ
Revision on 07/23/14

Good luck to you! I had an RNY Revision on July 23rd. I am down 30 lbs. so far, and I am feeling pretty good. I think that you will definitely appreciate your revision and work even harder than you did the first time because you have already "walked the walk". The things that I am trying to stay focused on is getting in all my water, meeting my protein goals, and exercising. If you have any questions, let me know.

Christine F.
on 9/2/14 1:39 pm, edited 9/2/14 1:39 pm - West Allis, WI

Thank you Marie and congrats to you on your second go round success.  I definitely intend to remain more mindful of what I am doing in terms or maintaining my weight loss and health this time around.  Of course I didn't willfully "go off the path: after my first surgery.  A lot of things have happened in the 10 years since my first surgery that led me back to some old habits, etc.  It wasn't that I didn't want to maintain my weight, I was just preoccupied with getting through some of the toughest time I've had in my life.  I know there are many that have been through similar or even tougher times so I'm not all "woe is me", just painting a complete picture. But back to the surgery, I know this is my last chance to have weight loss surgery and that will definitely play a big part in my motivation to do the right thing.  

Let me ask, was recovery the second time easier because you knew what to expect?

MsBatt
on 8/31/14 12:22 pm

This is usually called and ERNY (extended RNY), and I'd think long and hard before I did this. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just that you need to know there are other, often more effective, options.

Have you researched the DS (duodenal switch) at all? The DS would return your pylorus to you, so that you'd have a fully functional, but very small, stomach once again. You could take NSAIDs again, and you'd have the malabsorption of calories FOREVER. (Unlike your original RNY, where your malabsorption was pretty much gone by 2 years out.)

The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period. It makes a dramatic, permanent change in the way your body metabolizes food. And the DS has the very best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

All I'm saying is that you need to know all your options before you have major surgery.

Christine F.
on 9/2/14 1:20 pm - West Allis, WI

Thank you for your reply.  As a matter of fact I have been researching the distal RNY and DS to gather more information and questions before I have my sit down with my surgeon on the 18th.  I trust my doctor and I have been with him since 2004, on and off due to loss of insurance coverage for about 4 years.  I plan on asking many questions and will not be making any hasty decisions until I am 100% sure of the type of surgery agreed upon.  I am wondering though, when they submit to the insurance, how specific is the procedure listed?  If we decide that a DS is preferred, will they have to re-submit for approval do you know?  Anyone?

Chris

Roni W.
on 9/7/14 2:18 am - Forty Fort, PA

Good luck! I just had RNY revision for many of the same reasons as you, along with a couple others. My surgery was 8/28/14 and I've lost about 9 pounds so far. 

My surgeon was extremely cautious......he told me over and over that revision is extremely high risk, much more so than the original surgery. He also said it's nearly impossible to plan exactly what they will do until they get in and see what is where, etc.

He found that somehow my bowel had become totally attached to the abdominal wall, and there was an extra long loop that was all twisted and loopy that shouldn't have been, so he shortened that. He also revised my pouch, what was odd was that my EGD had shown no ulcers, but when he sent the section he cut out to pathology, they found a hidden ulcer!

I feel so different after this surgery! I still have staples in so in quite a bit of pain (my surgery was open, 13" incision!), but I still feel happy about what was done and things just seem "right" this time. I'm also being much more mindful of the rules he gave me......I'm just more determined I think.

Good luck you will do fine, just read and plan as much as you can. Keep us posted!

Roni in PA :)
"Those hairline cracks running through me are stronger than your wholeness. Every stitch on me represents an obstacle I've overcome."
                                                    gu siorraidhbrath

Chilipepper
on 9/7/14 2:28 am

I go in for a revision surgery tomorrow. My blind stomach and my pouch reattached and developed a fistula. I also have a blind limb. They are doing a gastrectomy on me and removing the limb and constructing a new pouch. I have heard its a harder recovery but we have already been through it once so we kind of know what to expect. Good luck and congratulations 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

AngelicMythology
on 9/7/14 12:53 pm - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

I was revised to distal in Jan 2013. I've lost 95 lbs to date. I'm just recently hit my goal of 140 lbs. I'm going to try to lose another 5 lbs then I really have to work on maintaining. 

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

Most Active