Band Removal 1.5 yrs ago. Should I sleeve?

cindyj578
on 9/11/14 1:17 am - Saint Cloud, FL
VSG on 03/08/07 with

Yes, I was put on PPI's.  That in itself has caused quite a few problems.  One of the side affects of PPI's is bone loss.  in April, I broke my left foot, in June I broke my left foot again.  In Aug. I have broken my right foot and am still in a cast.  Unfortunately, I was one of the people that got that side effect.  The VSG truly caused me quite a few problems.  Since I have had the RNY, (which I was so afraid of having) I have felt better than I have in many years.  It has only been 6 weeks since surgery and very hopeful that I continue to do well.   :)

pineview01
on 9/11/14 4:54 am - Davison, MI

The problem with PPI's is the side effect.  Unfortunately the medical world prescribes them but don't tell you how to get off them.  I found out my daughter that was sleeved for 3 years at the time was still taking them.  After we talk and I explained how the work and that you have to go thru 3/4 week of hell to get off, she did and is now PPI and reflux free.  I let my sister and many at support know this and it is working for them.  Some thought the would be on for like.

I am so happy to hear the RNY is working for you so well.  I just feel bad for those that have issues with the sleeve that could be fixed without surgery if given the proper help.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MsBatt
on 8/25/14 7:25 am

I have a DS, so I have a Sleeved stomach. Pre-op, I had terrible reflux, and my DS cured it completely. It also really altered my sense of hunger. Pre-op, I was hungry all the time. Now, I have what I think of as 'normal' hunger---I get hungry, I eat a normal portion, I feel full and satisfied. My Sleeve stomach has never felt any different than my pre-op stomach did, other than that it's happy with far less food. I can tolerate anything I choose to eat.

airbender
on 9/9/14 12:42 pm

oh my gosh my reflux was a disaster when I had my band, revised to DS, completely gone....but so was my restriction, so a double edged sword.   but that could also be due to the damage the band caused me

pineview01
on 9/10/14 12:46 pm - Davison, MI

I had horrible reflux with the band.  I am over 1.5 years out with the sleeve no reflux.  My sister is 2.5 years out and my daughter is almost four years.  Once I found out she was still on PPI's I told here about something I learned on OH about what happens when you stop them I was able to get her off them and she no longer has reflux or on PPI's.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Peachiecon26
on 9/9/14 12:58 am

I had the band 10 years ago and had very bad acid reflux. Just had revision to the gastric bypass because what I have read the sleeve would not help with that issue. Had the revision done 2 months ago and down 38 pounds. Surgery went great and so glad I did it. The reflux is gone also! Best of luck !

pineview01
on 9/10/14 12:49 pm - Davison, MI

I had the band and had very bad acid reflux.  I had the band removed and than was sleeved 4.5 months later and two years after band removal and being sleeved NO reflux.  I am also down 130 pounds from the start 5 years ago.

airbender
on 9/9/14 12:48 pm

hard decision no one can make for you, but if you ticker is correct you are 100 lbs overweight?  are you going to stay 100 lbs overweight?  what is your plan, diet exercise it off?  I know you are scared, we all are to a certain extent, some more than others, if you were not scared there would be something wrong with you,  while I completely understand being scared, you have to look beyond the initial fear of surgery and failure.  there are so many stories here, yours will be different also.  try not to focus on the 90% suceses if properly sleeved with correct size.  I wish you peace trying to decide I know it is not easy

pineview01
on 9/10/14 1:04 pm, edited 9/10/14 1:05 pm - Davison, MI
On August 18, 2014 at 8:51 PM Pacific Time, Christa wrote:

I need advice. I am suppose to start pre op procedure tomorrow. I'm unsure bc I had a Lap band, and it was a horrible experience that ended w removal a hear and a half ago. I'm needing to hear from you guys....good , bad and ugly about VSG. I am a bit gun-shy after my band experience. Input please!!!! 

If you are a year and a have with the band removed you should be good to go with the sleeve.  I too went thru the Lap band horrible experience.  I was unbanded 4.5 months to let it heal.  Than sleeved and loving it.  I had horrible reflux with the band.  With the sleeve - non.  I started the process at 280 and was banded at 257.  I got down to 198 the week my brother died but 210-215 was my low for a little while than back to 260.  The last 9 months getting un filled ever month and working out like crazy and being able to eat healthy for a little while after every un fill, I was able to start losing some.  I was sleeved at 232 and am now down to 150 and at a "normal" bmi.  I am loving my VSG.

Another thing I did different this time was see a therapist that has had WLS and work people with weight issues.  It helps to have some one to talk to with the ups and downs and head issues of WLS.  I almost back out even after all the fighting I did to get insurance to pay.  It isn't bad enough to have "failed" at dieting, I had "failed" at WLS.  I needed talking to her, reading the failed band group here and talking to all the others having issues with the band to realize it failed ME I did fail the WLS.  My results with the VSG proves it was the band and not me.

cstyles53
on 9/20/14 2:46 am

Thank you for your post. I, too, am a "failed" bandster and have an appointment to see the surgeon for removal of the band and change to sleeve.  I haven't looked into DS yet, but will explore that more. I never lost with the band. 

Cathy

Most Active