Band Over Bypass

berryphila
on 8/7/14 1:15 am - Cherry Hill, NJ

I had gastric bypass 11 years ago this week.  I am meeting with a surgeon next week to discuss band over bypass.  Can anyone tell me what the recovery is for this surgery?  Thanks!

MsBatt
on 8/10/14 6:56 am

I've seen a couple of people who did very well with this procedure---but they're only 3-4 years out. I would really hesitate about adding all the possible complications of a Band. The Band has a limited lifespan of about ten years, so---what happens when it has to come out?

At this point, I urge you to research having your RNY revised to a Duodenal Switch. This is a very complicated surgery, and only a handful of surgeons perform it, so most people have to travel in order to get it. The DS is the form of WLS with the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, and the best stats for resolving or preventing diabetes and high cholesterol.

devmar2123
on 8/29/14 4:19 am
with

I just did the band over bypass 08/19/14 and so far besides an hiatal hernia being repaired at the same time i think so far so good just going to start wk 3 now of puree protein i've checked into this and if you follow the diet you should lose weight nothing beats a try but failure

berryphila
on 8/29/14 8:33 am - Cherry Hill, NJ

Thanks for responding.  I've decided to pursue the duodenal switch procedure.  One of the few surgeons in the country who does DS is only 6 miles from my house.  I take it as a sign!  I hope you have great luck with the BOB and you have an easy time recovering.

Most Active