Has anyone had multiple revisions?

princesssharon35
on 8/2/14 10:18 am

I had the original RNY and two revisions since. I go for number three on the 15th. Has anyone had more than one revision?

Thanks

Ladytazz
on 8/2/14 11:11 am

Why so many if you don't mind me asking?  What were the revisions to?

I have heard of some who have had 2 or more revisions, from one surgery to another to another.  Kind of like changing seats on the deck of the Titanic if you don't make any other changes to your eating but there are cases where revisions are pretty necessary, as in cases of mechanical failure, severe side effects, etc.

I don't blame anyone from having a revision from the lap band, since that is usually a bust.  Usually I see people having revisions from the lap band to the sleeve and then the sleeve to either a DS or a RNY if they have severe reflux.

How well you do depends on how honest you are with yourself and your willingness to make any changes that you need to that you know didn't work well with the previous surgery.

I've seen some who have had several revisions and never lost all their weight because they blamed their failures on the surgery and never looked at their own behavior and choices.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MsBatt
on 8/3/14 8:25 am

Perhaps you should look into getting your RNY revised to a Duodenal Switch.

princesssharon35
on 8/4/14 10:03 am

I have my last mtg with surgeon next week and I'll do dome research this week and discuss it with him. All of my surgeries have been Open RNY so it's worth exploring. 

Thanka

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/14 1:27 am - NJ
Revision on 07/23/14

I had RNY in June 2008..when my weight loss stalled, the doctor suggested the ROSE procedure. This procedure was considered a non-invasive, endoscopic revision where the surgeon used a tool to go down my throat and insert sutures in my stomach to make it smaller, but unfortunately, some of the sutures came undone, stretched or my stomach pushed them out. On the 23rd, I had RNY to RNY revision because of an altered anatomy and a fistula. I am feeling pretty good so far!

princesssharon35
on 8/4/14 10:01 am

I'm glad u r feeling well and hope u continue. I am very excited about surgery and look forward to having much success. 

Virgie Tschirhart
on 9/3/14 10:27 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Had a Lap Band in 2008, like most people says that was a flop, I lost 17 lbs and gained back 14 lbs.  I could never find the sweet spot.  Acid reflux was another problem that I had.  

Had a VSG in 2009, it was better than the LB but I was still hungry, I lost 30 lbs and gained 20 lbs.  And I developed a even bigger Hiatal Hernia. The acid reflux is worse than ever.  

Now, I'm going through the 3 month program for BCBS Federal to get revised to the RNY.  My surgeon is going to state this is a medical necessity.    

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

princesssharon35
on 9/3/14 1:18 pm

I am almost 3 weeks out and the surgeon didn't resize my pouch but extended the path upon which the food travels. 

In the hospital, they immediately gave me a full food diet which I probably should have done liquid when I came home as I only lost 8 pounds in 10 days. 

I am thinking of doing a liquid and soup diet for a month but haven't yet. 

I wish you the best!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/7/14 12:27 pm

This will be a mistake. You have half of the DS, which is more successful than RNY for weight loss, weight maintenance, resolution of co-morbs, and allows you to take NSAIDs for pain. You will also undergo a more extensive surgery, and end up with a lesser procedure.

You have an RNY surgeon (you can throw a rock and hit an RNY surgeon, far fewer who perform the DS as it takes more to learn) and when they butcher your sleeve into a pouch, severing your pylorus, you will no longer be able to take NSAIDs EVER again, will risk dumping syndrome, reactive hypoglycemia, and higher chance of regain.

Surgeons that cannot do DS (or sleeve for that matter) changing everything to the RNY is the most alarming trend I see happening. You have to live your life with the resulting surgery, so you'll be better in the long run researching the surgery differences first, then going to a surgeon that actually does said surgeries, not buying the sales pitch of an RNY salesman. Good Luck.

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/14 5:28 pm
Most Active