Update on my Band to RNY

Amanda S.
on 8/1/14 2:01 am - VA
RNY on 02/13/12

It's been at least a year since I've been on this site but I wanted to give an update for anyone considering Band to RNY revision and wondering how effective the results are going to be. When I first started browsing this forum pre-revision surgery, I was concerned with the posts that warned of revision surgery not resulting in the same kind of weight loss that initial RNY surgeries provide. I went ahead with my revision surgery anyway because it was the right decision for me, and to this day I am so very glad I did.

My weight prior to Lap-Band in July 2007 was 242 lbs. and I only managed to get down to around 180 lbs. post-Banding and suffered many episodes of getting "stuck" and being unable to eat many foods. Fast forward to February 2012, my weight immediately pre-RNY was 253 lbs. (yes, I gained it all back and then some with the Band in place after it slipped and was subsequently un-filled). My revision surgery was completed all at once, I was only in the hospital for two nights (due to insurance requirements), and the worst complication I've had so far was the allergic reaction to the Dermabond they used.

Now, 2.5 years post-RNY revision surgery, I am happy to report that I am down to 130 lbs. and managed to beat my surgeon's goal for me of 135 lbs. (I'm 5'2"). Revision surgery completely changed my life for the better and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!

Pre-Surgery Weight: 253 lbs.
Current Weight: 135-140 lbs.

Hislady
on 8/1/14 5:07 am - Vancouver, WA

Congrats on your success it must feel good after having a band! Make sure you stay on top of the weight and keep it off forever, Enjoy your new body and life!

tdbull
on 8/5/14 3:01 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Congratulations. That is awesome that you reached/exceeded your goals.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

roseygirl
on 8/9/14 11:54 am

That is so fantastic! I am considering a revision post band and I been looking into the sleeve but am afraid that without the a absorbsion that the bypass offers I may not be successful. Thank you for sharing.

sylviaarcher
on 6/20/16 1:47 pm - Spruce Pine, NC
Revision on 07/18/16

Thank you for the update. I am scheduled for the same procedure and your post makes me feel a lot better. Are you still happy with your decision?

Amanda S.
on 6/23/16 12:54 pm - VA
RNY on 02/13/12

Yes, I'm still very happy with my decision. I'm now over 4 years post-op and am still maintaining my weight between 135-140 lbs. Life is good!

Pre-Surgery Weight: 253 lbs.
Current Weight: 135-140 lbs.

Most Active