LapBand Removal

lovelife
on 7/26/14 1:10 pm - Hoquiam, WA

I have had my LapBand since 9/2007.  The first year was amazing...I lost 120+ pounds.  (Starting weight 343).  I felt great and couldn't have been happier.  July 2008 my gallbladder starting acting up and I had my gallbladder removed in September.  From this point forward my weight starting creeping back up (270 lbs)...I worked with a personal trainer, ate right and over the course of the next three years I was able to lose 25 pounds. (245 lbs).  In May of 2013 I had to have foot surgery that turned into no weight on my foot for 8 weeks.  (I was supposed to be able to bear weight as soon as I was out of surgery).  I am now at 328 pounds. 

I am contemplating having the band removed and going the route of bypass.  I currently have zero medical problems (other than obesity) and want to live a full life...which I am unable to do now because my weight holds me back.

Any advice? (please don't feel the need to tell me what I have done wrong...I beat myself up about my failure every second of every day and don't need any help feeling horrible about myself...I can take care of this on my own) :-(

pineview01
on 7/26/14 2:00 pm - Davison, MI

Hi!  I was banded in '09 and you will not get beat up by any here.  Many have had the band fail them.  There is a whole failed band group.  there is also a band to sleeve group too

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Cassie C.
on 7/27/14 8:30 am - Jacksonville, FL

I too had the lap band in 9/2007.  I was successful in the beginning however, the last 6 years have been a total struggle.  I am now back to 331 pounds which my starting weight prior to the lap band was 341.  As you can see not much difference.  I am now going through the steps to have my band removed and the RNY done in an effort to lose what I need to in order to live a full and healthy life.  I am too young to feel as old as I do.  I wish you luck on your journey as well. 

56sunShine14
on 7/27/14 1:24 pm

I just had my band removed last week, it was put in in 2007.  A few things I am noticing right away are that I no longer have reflux!  The other day, I drank too much coffee and got the acids going so I took a Pepcid.  But that's it!  YAY!  Also, I take pain meds for neck and spine issues along with another for osteo arthritis.  Normally, as soon as my feet hit the ground in the morning, the pain would begin so getting those meds in asap was very important.  But it seems the last 2 days, as my stomach is healing, I have had very little pain when I get up and can go for quite a while before taking them. (talking a few hours here).

Only 2 things but isn't it interesting that the band removal can do this?

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Hislady
on 7/28/14 5:02 am - Vancouver, WA

I have what seems to be permanent damage to my stomach from the band. Also the worst reflux I've ever had, even worse than when I had the band. The sooner the band is removed the better.

ebonymc
on 7/28/14 12:25 pm
On July 28, 2014 at 12:02 PM Pacific Time, Hislady wrote:

I have what seems to be permanent damage to my stomach from the band. Also the worst reflux I've ever had, even worse than when I had the band. The sooner the band is removed the better.

Hislady, how long did you have the band?  Mine was removed 3 weeks ago and now this week I am having a little heartburn that goes away quickly and upper back pain that has lasted a few days now.  I don't know if I strained my back or what. But I can sleep on my left side now but not when I had the band, it was painful. getting fluid and meds down is much better too.

Hislady
on 7/29/14 5:10 am - Vancouver, WA

I had my band for almost 7 years and I think I was having problems earlier but didn't realize it because I have to take narcotic pain meds for several pain issues. Pain meds are a double edged sword because while they stop the pain from injuries they also stop the pain from your body saying hey we hurt here check us out. So I wasn't feeling the reflux pain until it got really bad. I have good days once in awhile but most days I have awful pain from reflux and a slow emptying stomach.

Just keep a close watch on the reflux so it doesn't get too bad, maybe get on some over the countermeds for reflux and see if that helps but if it continues do see your primary doc about it. Sounds like you are doing better getting the band out and hopefully it will stay that way! It sounds like the back may be like you say just a strain. If it is in the shoulder it could be gas pain too in which case some gas x may help. Of course if any of these things continues do see your doctor about them. Good luck with your unbanded life!!!

hstaveley
on 7/29/14 10:44 am

Hi how is everyone doing without their bands? I had mine out 5 weeks ago and have put on 18 lbs, and I don't think I am eating much more, but my stomach is swollen. How is everyone else doing?

ebonymc
on 7/29/14 12:54 pm
On July 29, 2014 at 5:44 PM Pacific Time, hstaveley wrote:

Hi how is everyone doing without their bands? I had mine out 5 weeks ago and have put on 18 lbs, and I don't think I am eating much more, but my stomach is swollen. How is everyone else doing?

Hi,  I had mine out for 3 weeks today and my stomach is still swollen and incisions are still a little tender. I guess I need to give it a little more time before stressing over it.

Most Active