Keeping WLS a secret

bgaylz
on 7/23/14 12:56 pm

Did anyone have WLS and did not tell family or  friends?

foodistoodarngood
on 7/24/14 8:11 am

I only told certain people....

pineview01
on 7/26/14 1:50 pm - Davison, MI

When I had the lap band I didn't tell a sole outside my husband and kids.  When family members started talking about the band I came out of the closet.  I talked several out of the band and two into the sleeve.  My oldest daughter told people I had the sleeve so when asked I will talk about it otherwise not.  My family had nothing nice to say when the oldest sister had a DS so I didn't tell them.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

AngelicMythology
on 7/26/14 5:32 pm - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

I told my immediate family and a few close friends. The rest found out after the fact. I was tired of everyone attempting to talk me out of it.

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

NewNu2ndChance
on 7/28/14 2:04 am

I told very few people about the band (before and after). I am not telling anyone this time around (revising to RNY) except my boyfriend and best friend. Nervous about not telling my mom (whom I tell everything) but I know she will worry and I don't want her to worry this time around.

Band Removal 7/31/2014

RNY- December 2014

Insurance approved for both surgeries

bgaylz
on 7/31/14 11:49 am

Hi

I see you had your revision today......Hope your doing well

denicegoepp
on 8/1/14 2:01 am - conyers, GA

yes me the first and now the second one i did not tell any one 

Valerie G.
on 8/1/14 2:08 am, edited 8/1/14 2:08 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you are straight-up from the beginning, you will encounter at least one nay-sayer.  Would you consider that minority a threat or a challenge?  You likely know more about what you're doing than any of them, so let your knowledge give you confidence.  I was blessed with an overwhelming amount of support, and the biggest nay-sayer was a very good friend/colleague that was too scared to take the plunge to wls herself.  Today she is still MO, thinks she missed her window of opportunity, however still scared to just do it and finds any excuse other than fear to justify it, then complains that her appearance is stunting her professional growth.  I've just decided she'll never allow herself to be happy.

Be aware that if your friends/family hear it from someone other than you, that they may be hurt or even angry for your deception.

In the workplace, do not tell one single person about it if you plan to keep it a secret.  Keep in mind that we all have 2 or 3 people that we confide in at work, and it's crazy that you're the only one that any person in your workplace confides in.  If it gets around without you saying so, your professional credibility is in the toilet, forever being deemed a liar.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

catalina07
on 8/11/14 4:35 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

I had my band 7/07. I told only my boyfriend and parents. Not my son. Not my sister. Not my co-workers. Not my friends. Since This hasn't worked for me and now I am going to have a revision, I am happy with that decision. I am now struggling with keeping my "secret" since I will be getting the bypass next month (fingers crossed, waiting on insurance). I have decided I will only tell close friends and family, but not until AFTER I have had the surgery and recovered. I don't want to worry them and I also don't really want to hear any possible negative comments. I am nervous enough without them! 

The down side of not telling anyone though...I went through a lot of struggles with my band. Sneaking away to throw up once or twice and having to make up excuses among issues. The lying made me feel like I had an eating disorder! Also, keeping it secret can exclude a possible supporter!  

Quanita L.
on 10/6/14 12:44 pm - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

I would have liked to keep things a bit close to home, but I am not a secret keeper by nature, when things happen in my life, even if you happen to walk by me at a bus stop or glance my way in the supermarket you will know about it *blush*

So even though not having anyone know, does feel more comfortable - as in I can get on with this and not have to also concern myself with what others think - several people already know and I still have 5 weeks to go.  I would do whatever is going to help you best in the long run and remember that you can come out of the closet, if someone straight out asks though, I would lean toward being honest and telling.

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

Most Active