Researching Band to VSG Revision...

Valerie G.
on 7/20/14 4:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you've maxed out your results with the band, I wouldn't expect anything more from the VSG, since it's approach to weight loss is the same (restriction only).  With still needing to lose an additional 100 lbs and having maxed out results with restriction only, I recommend you explore restriction/malabsorption options of the RNY (gastric bypass) and DS (duodenal switch).  The combination of malabsorption with restriction may get you over the hump with best chances to reach your goal weight.  Most with as much to lose as you started off with need this combination.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

pineview01
on 7/20/14 1:09 pm, edited 7/22/14 2:18 pm - Davison, MI

Why do you feel he has "maxed out" his results with restriction only?  The sleeve and band, while both restriction only, do not = the same results.  I and many others on the VSG boards have succeed with the sleeve when we couldn't with the band.  The stats are backing up that people lose more with the sleeve than the band.

I would for sure get the DS before the RNY but, I am so happy with the sleeve as opposed to the band.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

nursebonnie
on 7/22/14 6:13 am
VSG on 08/19/14

DavidL.

I had my band the same day and year as you. I had my band removed 5/22/2014 and am waiting for my VSG revision on 8/19/2014. I did pretty well with the band, lost 75% of ewl and kept it off. Since band removal I have gained 8 pounds but that is my fault. I am eating things I have not had for four years and will not eat once I get my sleeve. My surgeon said since I did well with the band I would do well with a sleeve. I had my band removed due to hoarseness, no GERD, but just wanted to get revision done so I did not have to wait for more problems with the band, which it seems most have.

I wish you success with whichever revision you decide upon.

Most Active