11 years out (Lap RnY) - regained 95 pounds after 125 pound loss

Heylove
on 7/8/14 2:53 am

I have a consultation this Saturday for a revision.  I had a consult with another doctor last year, but just the preliminary tests (endoscopy/upper GI) were going to cost me almost $900.  Considering that's the total I paid out of pocket for my original surgery, I just couldn't imagine paying that much just for the tests.

I kept the 125 pounds off for ten years, and even had three babies in those ten years.  The gain has all happened in about the last 18 months. My BMI is now only 38, but I'm experiencing all those wonderful things that go along with obesity like shortness of breath, sore and painful joints and B-12 related anemia. Eleven years ago, I had zero co-morbids.

Wish me luck.  I'm hoping to get the same RnY, but now I'm reading that most have had a revision from RnY to DS.  I had NO problems with my surgery whatsoever, and I don't want to risk having any this time. I just don't want to feel hungry anymore.  That was the best part of the original surgery for me, is that I never EVER felt hungry.

MsBatt
on 7/8/14 4:00 am

The fact that you're gained 95 pounds in 18 months suggests to ME that your metabolism has become highly efficient, able to fuel your body on very few calories and store the rest of what you eat against hard times in the future. The DS is the form of WLS that will change that, permanently.

However, revising an RNY to a DS is a highly complex surgery, and there are very few surgeons world-wide who can do it. Choose your surgeon VERY carefully.

Heylove
on 7/8/14 4:07 am

The more I'm reading, the more I'm seeing that a lot of RNY'ers revise with a lapband.  Will that take care of the "not feeling hungry all the time" problem? 

AngelicMythology
on 7/8/14 7:14 am - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

I ended up revising to a distal rny back in January 2013 from the proximal rny I had back in January 2007.  So far, I've lost 90 lbs.  However since my revision, I've become sensitive to dairy.  I do okay with lactose free milk.  I also now take a vitamin D pill in addition to normal gastric bypass vitamins everyday, and now do a b12 injection monthly. 

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

Heylove
on 7/8/14 11:23 am

Thank you, Angelic! I was going to send you a personal note, earlier, too, because I saw that you had had a revision.  

I spent ALL day researching and talking to the doctor's office.  It appears that I will need to follow through with the endoscopy and upper GI (no problem) - my insurance maximum out of pocket expense will be $3,000 (woohoo-I have barely used this new insurance so I had no idea!) - and my insurance even covers hotel nights before and after my surgery, and for a companion, AND for travel expenses.  Crazy! I had never heard of such a thing 11 years ago!

This office that I am meeting with on Saturday offers three choices for revision: lapband, gastric sleeve, and RNY.  After spending today reading stories of revisions, first, I gotta say, I had forgotten SO many of the WLS rules!  Can you believe it?  I remember being soooooo into my weight loss and following the rules for so many years...and then...I don't know, I just kinda felt "normal" again and felt like I didn't have to follow the rules.  

The first thing I'm doing today! is take my vitamins again.  Although I have felt normal and look like I eat like a normal stomach-ed person, my labs and my health prove that I am not.

Thank you all so much for all the information.  I swear, I feel exactly the same excitement that I felt in 2003!

Heylove
on 7/8/14 11:24 am

Oh, and one more thing...I haven't been able handle milk or ice cream since my original surgery.  I can handle yogurt though.  I still get sweaty and tired with lactose.  Cheese...cheese is a different story.  I love my cheese!

rnin2011
on 7/8/14 6:53 pm
Heylove, I too am considering revision. I had lap rny in 2005 and went from 270 to 130's and settled around 150. In 2009 started to regain and was 205 and now 195. I had proximal and I have not seen anyone about revision yet. I am doing back to basics but my losing is super slow. I am trying to make appointment for a consultation however. Keep us posted.

Most Active