Going from band to sleeve

a_new_kira
on 6/25/14 4:50 am

I am thinking of going from the band to a sleeve. I have had my band for 2&1/2 years. My first year was great and I lost 90 pounds. I have not regained any but have been stuck at the same weight. The last year I have not been able to get restriction. Any time my band is tightened to the point of restriction I get severe reflux to the point where I throw up in my sleep. So my band is no longer working. I can not get restriction without having severe reflux. I only have around 50 more pound to loose and wanted to know if the sleeve would be a good option. I've been through testing to see if something is wrong with my band but they can't find anything. Was told it's a normal complication of the band. 

a011578
on 6/25/14 6:07 am

I had my band removed in April. It was partially around my liver. Can't begin to tell U all the issues I've had over 5 years. I am also thinking about doing a sleeve. I couldn't wait to get the band out. I some how feel like I failed some how. I am looking forward to another chance at life. Requalifying for another surgery, and planning to do it all over again in October 2014.

Hislady
on 6/25/14 9:32 am, edited 6/25/14 9:32 am - Vancouver, WA

It's almost a given that if you have a band it will have to come out at some point and usually for the very reasons you stated. From my years of reading here nearly everyone *****vises to the sleeve says it works like we were told the band would but didn't. Many surgeons won't even do bands anymore and even the Mayo Clinic won't do them because of the complications and poor performance of the bands. So you aren't alone. We are finding that bands are causing serious life long damage to the stomach and esophagus, I'm a perfect example. I had to self pay to get mine removed and now I have horrible GERD and gastroparesis, a slow emptying stomach. Neither of which is fun!

a_new_kira
on 6/25/14 12:35 pm

Thanks for your response. I have an appointment with my Dr. Monday and can't wait to get the process started. It's makes me feel better to hear many others have had the same problem. I felt I failed. The sleeve scares me because it's permanent. I will continue to research but I know no matter what this band needs to come out. I didn't have any health problems before - was just over weight and didn't want to develop any. I feel like I'm less healthy now than I was 90 pounds ago. I went from not taking any medicine daily to having to take a daily pill for reflux. Thanks again. Hopefully after my consultation with my Dr. I'll be able to make a decision - but can't help but feel disappointed  

Most Active