Thinking about revision from band................where do I start

looking4hope
on 6/22/14 4:28 am

I had my band placed 3 years ago. It was a goo experience minus the left shoulder pain for about 3 -4 months. Then it was horrible for abor3 months. The next 6 months were perfect and I lost a total of about 60-70 pounds by the year mark. At about 13 months my band tightened and for the next year I struggled finding a place where I wasn't throwing up. I was afraid to eat in public. All the fluid has been out for the past year and I have regained 30 pounds, I was to see about a revision, something I never though I would consider, Surgery scares me. Right now I am trying to lose the 30 I regain just to get the band out! Even with an empty band I can't eat anything in the morning not even yogurt and many days I still throw up after a few bites of food. I end up eating slider foods.

I had a scope and they said everything looks good......Really

I am so frustrated, scared, and confused.

How was your revision? What surgery did you get? Did you have the band removed and a revision at the same time?

Highest 317 6/1 start pre-op diet312 6/15 2 days before surgery303 6/22 5 days post-op296  6/28 11 days post-op  290 7/5 18 days post-op 288 8/19 10 weeks post-op 278 9/10 274 11/6 268 2/18 257 3/26 249 5/14 237

Hislady
on 6/22/14 5:02 am - Vancouver, WA

Oh yeah I heard the "everything looks fine" story too, what the problem is, is that scar tissue builds up between the band and the stomach so it doesn't show up on tests! If I had a nickel for every person who has been told that, I'd be laying on an island beach right now! If you are still throwing up there IS a problem! Placement isn't the only cause for revision. I finally had to self pay to get my band out, hospital is still dealing with insurance trying to get them to pay but I know in the end I will have to pay for it. I couldn't revise because of other health issues but if I could have I would have gone with the sleeve because it leaves a normal functioning stomach and removes a big part of the grehlin producing part of the stomach without causing malabsorbtion like the RNY does. However some folks need the malabsorbtion so that's kinda between you and your doc, altho if I wanted malabsorbtion I would go with the DS.

First tho you need to see if your insurance covers a revision. Then see if your doc does revisions and what his success rate is with them. If not you need to find a good revision surgeon that knows how to revise all surgeries or at least the one you decide you want to revise to.

Just know you aren't the only person who has had this problem with the band, many, many others have also. It is a problem that comes with banding and it is the band not you causing the problem.

looking4hope
on 6/22/14 5:46 am

Thank you for your reply.

Highest 317 6/1 start pre-op diet312 6/15 2 days before surgery303 6/22 5 days post-op296  6/28 11 days post-op  290 7/5 18 days post-op 288 8/19 10 weeks post-op 278 9/10 274 11/6 268 2/18 257 3/26 249 5/14 237

pineview01
on 6/22/14 11:47 am - Davison, MI

If you are throwing up with and empty band everything isn't alright and you need the band removed.  Did you have and actual scope down the throat, not the UPI x-ray.  Usually the scope is better at finding issues but, it doesn't tell if you have scare tissue building up under the band causing it to close you down.

I went thru the not eating in the am, throwing up and eating slider foods until I was more than surgery day.  With the band being unfilled every month some I was able to slowly lose until they could no longer access my port due to it being tipped inside a scare capsule attaching to my innards.

My insurance went to a once in a lifetime WLS but, agreed to remove the band with the medical need.  After getting it removed I was able to fight the policy and get the sleeve.  The surgeon I had said the band had to be out 2-4 months before being sleeved.  He left and I ended up with his co-surgeon and he required 4-6 months, the ASMBS is recommending 6 months to reduce/eliminate the higher risk of a revision.

I love my sleeve and weight 50/60 pounds less than with the band.  I am "normal" now.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

looking4hope
on 6/22/14 12:26 pm

Thanks for sharing. They did do an endoscopy where they put me to sleep and when down my throat. I know it is time to find out about getting this band out.

pineview01
on 6/23/14 8:59 am - Davison, MI

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Ju1ieg
on 6/23/14 10:00 pm - Lone Jack , MO

Thank you for posting your story, can you tell me what differences you have noticed between being banded and VSG?  Comfort, eating, drinking etc...  I'm still on the fence, definitely want my band removed but a little gun shy when it comes to another expensive gastric surgery.

pineview01
on 6/24/14 9:00 am, edited 6/24/14 11:48 am - Davison, MI

Band vs sleeve.

With the sleeve I get full on a very little food.  With the band I would "hurt" if I ate too much, to fast or just because.  But even when I was "full" enough to hurt, I was still hungry.

With the band I couldn't eat many foods at all.  No bread at all and I had trouble eating solid proteins without drowning it in sauces.  So I would eat high cal sauces and sliders.  With the sleeve I can eat a bit or two of anything.  I couldn't eat bread, pasta and rice at first but later I could add a little.

With the band I had physical pain.  I had pain eating.  I had pain with the port and fills after the first year.  I had pain with the port and any physical activity like lifting.  I had pain when eating and always needed to know were the closest bathroom or door was so I could throw up.  I couldn't eat even one bite too much, to fast or talk while eating or I would get stuck and/ or throw up.

With the band I was at the surgery center all the time.  Each visit would take up a couple hours of my time at least.  The last year I was there every month getting a unfill.  Not to mention the ER visits to get unfilled as I had gotten .5 cc and had to have .25 removed or .15 cc removed as I had gotten .25cc, because I couldn't swallow spit just trying to chase that Green zone/Sweet spot that I never found.  With the sleeve lab work with the follow up visit at 2 weeks, 3,6,9 months and annually after.

With the band there is no restriction after surgery unless you have a little with swelling.  You go thru banders hell because you have gone thru the surgery and it isn't working yet and may not for weeks, months or at all. With the sleeve you hit the ground with total restriction.  It is less about 6 months out when the sleeve is totally healed and all the swelling is gone.  This is why they say to utilize the first 6-12 months on all the WLS.

With the band the cost is an ongoing, never ending ordeal.  With the sleeve it is the surgery.

If you would like to talk more pm me.

One more big difference, I was always Obese with the band.  I am know normal with the sleeve.

Ju1ieg
on 6/24/14 9:18 am - Lone Jack , MO

Oh my gosh you have had the same trouble as I have had except for port pain, never had that.  I'm sick sick sick to death of throwing up or having to make more than one trip to the bathroom when eating out.  Not to mention that my husband is also sick of it.  He has been very understanding but I can tell it's growing old for him also.  Does the stomach actually heal itself closed or are you having to rely on the staples?  Can you get a bottle of water down during a workout if needed?  My dr said to eat about 6 small meals per day do you have any trouble with that?  Do you really get full?  With the band I never get full just stuck.  Thank you so much for taking the time to chat the information I have gotten has been really valuable.  Thanks again.

pineview01
on 6/24/14 12:01 pm, edited 6/24/14 12:02 pm - Davison, MI

I sent you a message

PM me if you would like more info.

Most Active