Lap Band Removal- starting the process

TravelinJen
on 6/18/14 4:39 am

Although I lost about 70lbs with the Lap Band, it has been nothing but a problem. Two flipped ports and for the past three years, I get extreme reflux if I get the band even slightly filled. So, starting the process to get the band removed. Although I am very happy with my new doctor, I want to get a second opinion about which surgery I should get next, Sleeve or Bypass. I didn't have reflux before the band and don't have it when it isn't filled. I want to get a straight answer on if I would get reflux with the Sleeve and if that is common. Bypass just sounds like a scarier surgery to me for some reason. However, at 252lbs with Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and hypothyroidism, I need to do something. It sounds like it might be a problem getting a second opinion. Has anyone else had this problem? I called a surgeon that was recommended and they said they'd have to get back to me to see if the doctor would even see me. I guess they are worried that they have to fix someone else's mess? The whole thing is upsetting enough, I don't want to have to deal with even more hurdles...

Hislady
on 6/18/14 7:34 am - Vancouver, WA

I have been here on OH for over 7 yrs. and reading on the sleeve forum for the last 2 or 3 because I wanted to revise to a sleeve also until other health issues made it impossible. I was barely able to get my band removed because of my lungs. Anyway from what I have seen over the years if you didn't have reflux issues before the band you probably won't have them with the sleeve. However the sleeve "can" cause reflux issues and it's really hard to tell who will and who won't. For some getting the sleeve has eliminated their reflux for others it has made it worse it's such an individual thing. If you really prefer the sleeve then fight for it, you can always take PPIs to control any reflux. I think most surgeons put you on them the first year or so anyway to control the acid until the amount settles down post op. I only know 2 people who didn't like their revision from band to sleeve, all the rest (dozens) have loved theirs. I wish you the best!

TravelinJen
on 6/18/14 9:00 am

Thank you for the advice :)

DrAceves
on 6/18/14 9:00 am - Mexico

I have had the opportunity to  convert  hundreds of  bands to sleeves and many bands to bypass too. Patients can be successful with both but each case is different. In my opinion, since you did lose weight with the band  and do not experience reflux when the band  is unfilled,  the sleeve would be a good option for you if this is what you prefer.   You might or might not experience reflux with the sleeve, there is not way to know for sure but most likely if you  do it can be controlled with  PPIs daily for a few months, possibly longer. 

Most patients get their  diabetes under control without medication with the sleeve too, just by losing weight. 

I hope this helps you. 

Dr. Alberto Aceves

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-alberto-aceves/

TravelinJen
on 6/18/14 9:05 am

Great to get first hand experience! Much appreciated

pineview01
on 6/18/14 10:13 am, edited 6/18/14 10:13 am - Davison, MI

I am a band to sleeve.  I lost about 60 pounds with the band.  I had issues with fill sensitivity.  I would have a fill and close up, have half removed and would be wide open.  I also had a port tip and encase in a capsule of scare tissue which adhered to my innards.  Every time they access the port by tipping it back it hurt worse and worse.  I didn't even know what acid reflux was before banding.  It got so bad with 2 ppi's a day I still had to sleep sitting up.  The band was removed and the reflux stopped.

When the do the sleeve at our center they put us on 2 ppi's a day.  I stopped 1 at 6 months on my own and the second at 1 year.  I will warn you that you may go thru 3/4 weeks of ppi withdrawal.  If you aren't prepaid you will go back taking them.  My daughter went thru that for 3 years until I told her about the research I read on how the work.  Once she got thru the withdrawal she is now off too.  Had I know I would have told her sooner.

Some surgeons don't realize that the reflux is band caused.  Some just prefer to do the RNY.  So you may get some pressure to revise to the GB.  Dr Aceves had some great advise for you.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

TravelinJen
on 6/18/14 11:33 am

Oh, good to know about the PPIs. I'm hoping to not have to be on those too long. Glad it worked for you!

Most Active