The Case of the Disappearing Lap-Band

OggieMamma
on 6/19/14 5:34 am - Rineyville, KY

For months I've been telling doctors that it doesn't feel as I even have a lap-band anymore. We moved last year and the only bariatric surgeon in this area requires a visit with a dietician before he'll even see you, which frustrated me since I had lap-band back in 2006, lost all my extra weight, and then underwent lower body lift, only to start gaining the weight back. I underwent a scope this morning and the GI doctor couldn't even locate the band. 

Anyhow, it's been so long since I've researched weight loss surgery options that I'm not sure anymore what all the current options are. And insurance companies - how likely are they to approve a revision in a case like this? 

Is the lap-band "breaking" a common problem? Could that be the reason for the intermittent problems I have swallowing? What is the most popular form of revision surgery? So many questions, I know, but the news from this morning's scope was a big surprise to me.

pineview01
on 6/21/14 1:42 pm - Davison, MI

Your's is the first I have hear of that broke and must have floated off.  Yes others have reported broken buckles and each is told that it is almost unheard of.  It seems every thing is almost unheard of .  But, we hear it all the time here.

I would imagine you would be a great candidate for a revision.  I sure wouldn't let them talk you into putting another band it.  If you did good with the band, until it failed you you would do GREAT with the sleeve.

I am a band to sleeve and have lost another 50+ pounds less than with the band.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Zee Starrlite
on 6/23/14 2:19 am

What was your GI doctor's conclusion?  Did he locate your band?  The human body is not able to absorb silicone and I'd think especially not solid silicone and titanium.  There has to be some explanation for this and your GI doctor should explain himself in some true diagnostic terms.

Swallowing problems are not good.  Get a diagnosis first then research the heck out of all possible WLS to revise to.  If your band has eroded into your stomach you need it removed ASAP.  Any other issues or just having a band, you should get your band removed and allow your tortured esphogas and stomach to rest and heal before a revision.

I wish you  the very best outcome.

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active