Weight gain, Stoma stretched?

dolly O.
on 6/15/14 6:47 pm - league city, TX

I had RNY in 2009 and went form 277 to 172. I have gained nearly 20 lbs. I DO NOT want to regain weight. I feel like I am eating more than I should bc I can eat more. I've done research and they say the pouch doesn't stretch but the stoma "the part that emties into intestine" can become lax??? What can you do about this? Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a revision that can be done? 

Don't put a question mark where God has put a period! 
Dolly Oliver

Hislady
on 6/16/14 3:48 am - Vancouver, WA

First I would start jpunaling my food to see what and how much I'm eating for a few weeks. It's very easy to start eating more or different types of food over time, so make sure you are still following your docs eating instructions. If you are and it isn't making a difference then I would say time to see the doc and hear what he has to say. Over time the RNY loses absorbtion and you have to work harder to maintain the weight loss but seems to be lots easier to check your eating first than jump right into a surgery. Good luck!

Ladytazz
on 6/16/14 2:43 pm

You can contact your surgeon and see if you can have an EGD, to take a look and see if things are intact.  I agree with His Lady, though.  What you are eating makes a big difference.

I find that eating dense protein first fills be up pretty good.  After that I will eat some vegetables or fruit or whatever but a lot of things that are high in carbs are very easy to eat and you can eat more.

I can eat 4 oz of steak and be stuffed but if I eat a handful of (gluten free) crackers I can just keep eating and eating if I let myself.  They just don't fill me up.

Also, many find that eating refined carbs creates cravings for more.  If all is well with your original surgery then save yourself a lot of pain and try looking at what you are eating before you subject your body to more surgery.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active