Removal of eroded lap band and revision to sleeve?

sunlover
on 6/18/14 4:43 am - Hinesburg, VT

I have MVP, they denied my revision but approved the removal of my band due to GERD.  I had to appeal, for the revision to the sleeve.  After the second level appeal, I was approved.  My insurance is supposed to provide a "continuity of care" which I used as leverage in my appeal.  My insurance only covers one WLS per lifetime unless medically necessary. I argued the medically necessary point and also mentioned that obesity is now considered a disease.  The band has now been proven to be less effective than we were promised and is also very dangerous in many cases.  When I had my band out, the surgeon said it had slipped up on my esophagus.  Good grief, I wonder why I had GERD??  Doing well now after the revision and have lost 20 pounds so far.  Long story short, appeal.  Best of luck to you!  Michelle

DrAceves
on 6/18/14 7:25 am - Mexico

In my experience it is best to have an eroded band  removed and wait at least 6 months before considering  another wls surgery.  If your erosion has already been detected removing it as soon as possible is safer. 

I cannot offer any insight into the insurance situation unfortunately. 

Good luck !

Dr. Alberto Aceves

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-alberto-aceves/

pineview01
on 6/18/14 9:53 am - Davison, MI

Great advise Doctor!  That is also what the ASMBS recommends and the standard that respectable/responsible surgeons like your self follow.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Roundtwo
on 6/18/14 10:43 am

Yes, the more I read, the more I think I should wait between the two procedures.  The last thing I want are more uncovered complications to deal with.  This whole thing is really upsetting me right now.  Sorry, don't mean to whine . . . I have just been having so much stomach pain and just want this thing out!

Most Active