Removal of eroded lap band and revision to sleeve?

Roundtwo
on 6/14/14 2:52 am

Hi all.  I am waiting to be scheduled for an appointment with a surgeon but, of course, have a million questions going through my mind.  I was banded in 2008.  I lost 50 lbs, but have gained it back over the past few years.  I have been having a lot of stomach pain the past few months and endoscopy last week showed that my lap band has migrated and is eroding into my stomach.  It's not even remotely where it started.  Really weird.  

I am hoping to have revision to a sleeve.  I am concerned about cost, as my insurance specifically excludes WLS and "reversal" of WLS, although the removal seems like a medical necessity at this point.  Anyway, two questions:  Has anyone been able to get the removal part of the surgery covered even when their insurance excludes it?  And, second, has anyone had a revision with a severely eroded lap band removal?

pineview01
on 6/14/14 5:18 am - Davison, MI

My insurance was a Once in life time for WLS.  They had no problem doing the band removal though.  You may have to fight to get them to pay for the removal but as it has a eroded you have to get it removed asap or risk death.  It is medical necessity and not a "reversal"  So you should win in the long run.  As for getting revise, I don't believe based on the wording you will get revision.  Surgeon don't or should do a revision with a severely eroded band. I did see one but, they inserted a pick line at the same time.   Depending on the damage and location, I have seen them revise to a rny at the same time.  I have seen them do non-eroded band to sleeve at the same time.

I didn't have an eroded band and still am glad they didn't do it at the same time.  They fixed some of the damage when the band is removed.  But, it still took them 45 minutes to fix damage 4.5 months later when sleeved.  The risk of strictures and leaks is much lower with the wait in between.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Roundtwo
on 6/14/14 9:18 am

Yeah, I don't see how they can turn down something that's a medical necessity.  That would help with the price a lot.  I'll wait in between if need be.  I want it to be safe, that's for sure.  Are you happy with your revision?

pineview01
on 6/17/14 1:05 pm - Davison, MI

Yes, I love my sleeve.  It does what I thought the band would but didn't.  I never got down below 200 except the couple days my brother passed.  My real low was about 210/220 for a few months.  I am now down to 154 and a normal BMI.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Roundtwo
on 6/17/14 2:21 pm

Oh, that's fantastic.  I hope I can figure out a way to pay for it and that it will be equally helpful for me.

Hislady
on 6/14/14 1:07 pm - Vancouver, WA

Oh trust me they can and will refuse to cover removal even if it is a medical necessity. If the policy states it is an exclusion they don't have to cover it. I had mine removed in Feb because of the pain it was causing but the insurance still hasn't paid the hospital and they refused the surgeon and anesthesiologist. There is nothing to appeal because it states no bariatric surgey or complications from it. So I will be paying big bucks when they finally send me a bill.

Roundtwo
on 6/14/14 3:26 pm

Wow, that's really unfortunate.  I'm surprised the surgeon would do it without preauthorization.

pineview01
on 6/15/14 3:20 pm - Davison, MI

Hislady is right.  There have been some here that had to pay out of pocket for emergency removal.  Some have even ended up in bankruptcy over it.  If your's does cover it with the wording you have consider it a blessing.  I and others have been lucky to have them cover it when stated they won't.

Roundtwo
on 6/16/14 2:39 am

I really hope they will.  Super stressed about it.

Roundtwo
on 6/17/14 2:22 pm

So my insurance says that they will not pay for the removal, as it is excluded as a complication of the surgery.  I just don't know how I am going to come up with enough money to pay for removal AND for a sleeve.  Sigh.

Most Active