Open Roux en Y to a Adjustable Band...any one out there?

Penny H.
on 6/6/14 2:19 am - Holland, MI

I may be getting a revision this year from an open Roux en Y to an adjustable band.

Has anyone else had this done?  I would very much like some input.

Thanks, Penny

Hislady
on 6/6/14 3:59 am - Vancouver, WA

I've heard of a band over a by pass, is that what you mean? Or are you talking about taking out your RNY and putting a band on the stomach? That I haven't heard of and wouldn't do because the band is a very bad product. It can cause serious life long damage to the stomach. Many lapband people have horrible problems including myself. However they seem to help some people when they put a band over the bypass called a BOB (band over bypass). On the down side that hasn't been done for a very long time so we don't know the long term of what can happen like some of us ex-banders who have had to have our bands removed because of damage to our stomach.

Penny H.
on 6/8/14 11:51 am - Holland, MI

Yes, a BOB!  It is all so confusing...Thank you for your input.

pineview01
on 6/7/14 1:32 pm - Davison, MI

Ditto what Hislady stated.  I'm waiting for the 5-10 year states on the BOB.  Even the makers only give it a ten year lifespan, only a few make that.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Faithers1
on 6/8/14 3:45 am

I am waiting for insurance approval for a band over bypass.  Would love to hear if anyone has had this done and what their success, thoughts, etc...are!!!  I lost 110 pounds & maintained my loss for 5 years and regained 55 pounds in the last year.  Need to refocus and fix my stretching pouch. 

MsBatt
on 6/8/14 6:34 am

I strongly urge you to research the possibility of revising your RNY to a DS. Much better long-term stats.

Faithers1
on 6/8/14 9:53 am

The DS seems very invasive, like the RNY.  I'm not sure I want to go through all that again.  I haven't heard much about the DS.  Any info would be helpful!  My surgeon has had great success with Band over Bypass.  I'd love to hear from others that have had this done...positive and negative.  Thanks.

Hislady
on 6/11/14 3:40 am - Vancouver, WA

The DS is much like the RNY only better if you want to read more about it go to dsfacts.com.

Penny H.
on 6/12/14 12:15 am - Holland, MI

Thanks so much Hislady!

I have it book-marked already...

heathercross
on 6/16/14 9:49 pm - New York, NY

Penny, I had an OPEN RNY in 2002 when they were just starting to do Laprascopic RNYs.  I had a Band-over-bypass (BOB) in June of 2011.  I am 12yrs post-op RNY and 3 years post-op BOB.  You're welcome to email me [email protected].  I will be honest, and to the point and answer any question just please take the time and read thru my blog first bc it answers many of the basic questions about the procedure.  Also, just bc I don't post on here and come on here much doesn't mean I've failed (someone told me that recently that I am in hiding), I just have my life back and I am very active and don't need to be behind a computer :-)

Most Active