How Many Revisions Can One Person Get???

mizzkellyJo
on 5/28/14 10:33 pm

I had RNY in 2003 and a revision in 2012. I only lost 30 pounds after my revision. Once again I am starting to gain the weight back. I have talked to my surgeon about it and was monitored for weeks by the office nutritionist to see what I was doing wrong. The only think that I seem to be lacking is exercise and that is due to severe arthritis in my knees. I am considering consulting with another surgeon but not sure if I will even be considered or taken serious because this will be my 3rd time. I need advice....

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/29/14 7:28 am

There are variables. If you were revised to another RNY, then you can't take NSAIDs for pain. If you were revised to DS, then you can, but there are very few surgeons that are qualified to do the RNY to DS revision. So while the DS is more effective, it could also be useful in enabling you to take something for your knees so you can actually exercise.

Also, if they removed the remnant stomach with one of those RNYs, then there is no chance of restoring your pyloric valve, meaning there would be no chance to revise back to a sleeve or DS. 

There is scar tissue and damage from each surgery as well, and sometimes there is more to deal with than most surgeons want to take on. 

Last, many insurers such as my own, have adopted a "one WLS per lifetime" thing where if you have had any WLS, regardless of who paid before, they will not cover another. You need to make sure your insurer hasn't adopted this before you waste your efforts. 

stmhazel
on 6/2/14 6:32 am - Lincoln, AL

mizzkellyjo, what type of revision to rny did you have? thx!!

hollykim
on 6/3/14 5:36 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

just wanted to add, that exercise is not necessarily the huge key. 

I lost 118# over the last 4 years with a vsg and did NO exercise at all.

i respectfully say,it has to be your diet,in Spite of what the nut thinks. We can tell the nut anything right? Only we know what we are really eating. 

If you are over  eating  or eating slider foods, doesn't matter how many revisions you have. You are not going to lose weight.

GL

Most Active