Band to VSG in 1 surgery?

Karen D.
on 5/18/14 9:13 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Hi,  I have had my band for 8 years.  Lost weight, problems, gained weight and now I'm back to the beginning.  I have lost 31 lbs since November with a new fill and exercising my rear off, but am still considering VSG.  Anyone have it done in 1 surgery?  My doc says taking the band out is easy, he says he normally does it in 2 surgeries but could potentially do it in 1 depending on what he sees when he gets in there.

I'm apprehensive about having 2 surgeries.  Thanks!

Hislady
on 5/18/14 9:24 am - Vancouver, WA

Of course they like to do 2 surgeries they get paid twice that way! heehee It can and often is done all in one procedure, it's pretty much surgeons choice. My only concern would be you have had it for a looong time and there could very easily be alot of scar tissue. I feel like that's part of my problem, even tho my surgeon assured me he would remove any that was in there. I also know my surgery was pretty quick because he was worried about my lungs. So I don't in all honesty know if he got everything or not because my gut and throat still bother me something awful. I have GERD like I've never had before and I didn't even have a revision, just removal! But yes it can indeed be done in one procedure..

tdbull
on 5/18/14 11:38 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I had band removal, revision to RNY and gallbladder removed all in one surgery. I don't know what you issues are with your band, but mine were reflux and weight gain. I wanted sleeve but surgeon said this wouldn't eliminate reflux. If you have reflux, you might talk with your surgeon about revising to RNY instead of sleeve.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Hislady
on 5/19/14 4:01 am - Vancouver, WA

TD is right about the reflux altho it depends on what causes it, just having the band can cause it and it goes away after band removal. I think that is one reason some surgeons prefer to do 2 surgeries because it gives the reflux time to resolve if it is going to. I know I still have it something horrid and I didn't even revise after my removal in Feb. this year.

Karen D.
on 5/19/14 10:31 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Fortunately I don't have reflux and if do the VSG, I hope I don't get it!   My problem with the band has been swallowing problems.  I figured I went for a long time with a too tight band and I gained all my weight back since I was eating poorly.  

Thanks for your thoughts.

pineview01
on 5/19/14 1:43 pm, edited 5/19/14 1:44 pm - Davison, MI

Karen the surgeon wants to do the surgery in two as that is the recommendation of the ASBMS the association of Bariatric Surgeons.  They have found if you remove the band and let the stomach heal from the damage/deformation of the stomach from the band it drastically reduces the risk of leaks and strictures.  Many get it done in one and do just fine.  But doing it in one surgery does increase the risk so your surgeon is looking out for your best interest.  He is also looking out for his states.  The few leaks and complication the better he looks.

This seems to be more important with band to sleeve than band to rny depending on the placement on the band.

I didn't have reflux until banded it went away after the band was removed.  I did have damage to the esophagus.  But, that would be there band or rny.

I'm very happy with me sleeve.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

cathync57
on 5/26/14 1:14 pm
VSG on 05/05/14

I had my band removed and VSG in the same surgery. No problems at all. 

Most Active