Band to Sleeve 5/12/14

txchica70
on 5/16/14 9:33 am

Lap Band 9/2007 by Dr Spivak in Houston: 20 lb weight loss immediately after band. Lost another 60 with running, boot camp, exercise and benefit of band as tool to eat less. Reached weight of 135 and felt great, but intermittent episodes of severe restriction, vomiting. Dr Spivak had moved out of the country and his website directed his patient to the physicians at TLC Surgery in Houston. Made an appointment with Dr Sherman Yu. Found out in July that my esophagus and pouch were dilated and i had reflux esophagitis (asymptomatic). All fluid had to be removed from band and I returned to bad habits. Gained 50 lbs back and felt miserable. I was approved for band removal and revision to sleeve right away, but I chickened out and canceled my surgery in February thinking I could do it on my own. Wrong!

i rescheduled and had my revision on 5/12/14 at Park Plaza Hospital. In the hospital, I received IV acetaminophen, dilaudid PCA and the On-Q painbuster ball. I walked 4 hrs after surgery and went home around noon the next day. The staff at PPH was amazing. Dr Yu gave me prescriptions for pain and nausea meds at my preop appt so it would be available when I got home from the hospital. He also is using new compounded lotions/creams for scar, nausea and pain which I am using as well. It is pod#4 today and feel great!! Of course, I have some incisional pain, but I really cannot complain at all. The last time I took pain meds was 2 days ago. I was sent home with the On-Q pain ball and removed it myself on pod#2. No nausea or vomiting, able to drink without problems. I drove myself to the movies yesterday and walked 2 miles today. I hope I'm not speaking too soon and jynxing myself, but I really don't think so. I just wanted to put a positive experience out there for those folks who have heard the horror stories. Best of luck to all!

SuzinDallas
on 5/16/14 10:00 am

Good for you!! So many people don't see the value in getting up and around right after surgery but it really does help I think.

I wanted to share that I was banded by Dr Spivak in January 2006 and had pretty much the same issues that you did.

I now live in Dallas but had saw him shortly before he left to go back to Israel.  He confirmed that I'd need a revision and suggested RNY because of the way my stomach looked in the upper GI.  It took a while for me to get my insurance straightened out (a long while as I ended up getting a new policy altogether) in the meantime my band slipped and I regained everything I'd lost. But eventually I did, and I was revised on 5/2/14 here in Dallas.

I revised to RNY though because of my reflux, my Dr said it would be the better choice for me as the sleeve doesn't always correct it.  So I went that way. 

Anyways, I feel great, and have since I woke up the day after my surgery.  I started walking that same day and was discharged two days after my surgery, the next day I was up and around running errands and living life a lot slower than normal, but for the most part normal.

Life is pretty good isn't it!?!

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

txchica70
on 5/16/14 10:15 am

I did get hiatal hernia repaired during revision. I wholeheartedly agree, up and about asap is key to speedy recovery. 

Yes, life is good. Here's to getting the weight off and being successful in this journey.

SuzinDallas
on 5/16/14 11:03 am

I had an umbilical hernia repaired.  That's the only area that's ever sore. And boy does it sting!!

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

pineview01
on 5/16/14 11:49 am - Davison, MI

Glad to hear you got your sleeve and all went well.  I was put on a pain pump out of surgery.  I had it taken down after a few pushes and figure out it caused the nausea.  I had pain and nausea meds but, never needed them.  I was up and taking care of my RNY roomie.  I wanted to go home but they made me stay two nights.  The sleeve was so much easier than the band or getting the band out.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active