10 Years after Lap-Band

twistedbarbie
on 5/13/14 6:07 am - Los Angeles, CA

Hey Folks -

I was the poster child for Lap-Band surgery - lost tons of weight, etc.
Then I was in treatment for anorexia. I recovered and learned to eat to feed my body the way one should....

Then after over a year of maintaining a healthy weight, I started gaining.. and gaining... and gaining. It didn't matter WHAT I did. I saw dieticians, doctors, etc.

So I have regained 3/4 of the weight I lost and I'm finally opening the door to surgery again. I don't know what the Dr will say, but I'm curious if anybody shares this story or elements of it and curious what worked for you.

SuzinDallas
on 5/13/14 7:03 am

I lost a lot of weight initially with my band, but then I developed some GERD which came with night time reflux. I went back and forth between slips, fills, un-fills and finally my port flipped and I just gave up.  Gained a bunch of weight because it hurt if I ate, and it hurt if I didn't so why bother trying. My insurance at the time had an exclusion for weight loss surgery related surgeries even though I had a severe medical need, which had been documented by both a bariatric surgeon and my PCP.  I ended up comforting myself with food which resulted in nearly a total regain.  How sad.

I tried diets, Weigh****chers, pills, going back to WLS basics.  Tried to get a fill a few times just to see if maybe things would be ok.  I'd lose weight, sometimes as much as 60 pounds. But then I'd lose my motivation or get comfortable and then start gaining back.

BUT...this year I was able to switch insurance companies and managed to get my band removed and I was revised to bypass about a week and a half ago.

Obviously I don't have too much to say about it, but I the day after my surgery I knew my stomach felt better and that's all the motivation I needed to get up and start my new life.

Things have been very good so far.  I'm focusing on getting my fluids and protein in and things seem to be falling into place. I went to my first Overeater's Anonymous meeting this past weekend because I've GOT to make some changes in the way I think/feel about food this time. Hopefully that will provide some support and healing as I progress.

I know a lot of people here have had bands removed and they revised to other surgeries. I was actually kind of surprised at how many people have had problems similar to what I experienced with the lap-band.

I really hope that you can find a way to get some help! Good luck to you!

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

Kimmybert
on 5/13/14 8:32 am - Denton, TX
VSG on 08/25/14 with

Thank you for sharing your story! If you dont mind me asking did you have a lot of scar tissue from where the band was? Did you have both surgeries at once.. the removal and the bypass? I want the sleeve but I have had my band out about 2 1/2 years and I have scar tissue and am a bit nervous about a leak with the sleeve due to the scar tissue. My ex had the sleeve and a leak and that is something I NEVER want to go through even though I know there is still a chance even if I didn't have scar tissue!  Thanks for you time and good luck!

SuzinDallas
on 5/13/14 8:44 am

Luckily there wasn't much scar tissue apparently.  

I did have both done at once.  I saw a few Dr's while I was researching and it was about 50/50 on those who would do it at the same time and those who wouldn't so.  Mine said that it was fairly unlikely he'd not be able to do based on my upper GI but that it ultimately depended on what shape my stomach was in after the removal of the band.  He said a lot of the scar tissue issues are more because of where the band is "sitting" when it's removed.

My Dr said that with my history of GERD and reflux I wasn't a good candidate for the sleeve, and my insurance doesn't cover it so I didn't really even consider it. Lots of people have had the sleeve after band and seem to like it and do well on it from what I've seen.

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

pineview01
on 5/13/14 10:06 am, edited 5/13/14 10:15 am - Davison, MI

Kimmybert I wrote a response on your thread about this.  If you have had the band removed 2 1/2 years you should be a great candidate for the sleeve.  It is when they do a band to sleeve in one surgery that you increase the odds of a leak as the area is Thinned were pulled over the band and stitched.

I'm not sure I would want to use the same surgeon that did your Ex's sleeve though.  Our center had 2 leaks in their first 4 patients but haven't had one since.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Kimmybert
on 5/13/14 11:06 am - Denton, TX
VSG on 08/25/14 with

Yes I saw your response.. thank you! No I am not using that same surgeon... even though he was also the one who put my band in in 2006! I also now have to use a "Blue Distinction" center for BCBS... so now researching my choices!

pineview01
on 5/14/14 11:39 am - Davison, MI

Good luck and warmest wishes for getting a sleeve and a healthy wight lose journey.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Kimmybert
on 5/14/14 12:20 pm - Denton, TX
VSG on 08/25/14 with

Thank you so much!!! :-)

pineview01
on 5/13/14 10:19 am - Davison, MI

Welcome to the world of former lap-band poster children.  You have had yours longer than most.  You don't see many 10 year plus and the manufacture is even now calling it temp with 10 years being about the limit.

Check out the failed band group!

Most Active