VSG to ???

smwkwl
on 5/12/14 2:15 am - AR
VSG on 04/18/12

I am freaking out a little about re-gaining some of my weight. I have dieted and went back to the basics ans exercise and can't lose a thing...which reminds me why I had WLS to begin with. I am wondering how to go about a revision surgery and what I need to do for insurance. I am un-sure if insurance will pay at all since my BMI is 31 and not over 40 like it used to be...Can anyone help or have any advice as to where to start.? I have united Healthcare (Railroad) insurance. Thanks in advance :)

Hislady
on 5/12/14 4:10 am - Vancouver, WA

The first thing to do is contact your insurance and see IF they will cover one at all, many have gone to a once per lifetime bariatric surgery. You may need to drop you calories intake a 100 calories or so. Since you have a sleeve the DS would be the logical choice for revision since you already have the first half, having the sleeve already. Good luck!

smwkwl
on 5/12/14 5:22 am - AR
VSG on 04/18/12

That is the bad part...I have reduced it and started to increase my exercise with no result. I am in current contact with my surgeon and go on Wednesday to discuss my options. I just don't want this to get out of control and fear the worst. I promised myself I would be pro-active if I noticed a problem. I owe it to my family !! Thanks for your advice.

NewMe2Be72
on 5/12/14 8:24 am - CO

Hello smwkwl.  I had a sleeve surgery the end of June 2012.  I lost about 70 some pounds.  My dad passed away the end of Oct.  Devastated  me.  The last time I lost weight was a week after his death.. maintained for months then I gained most of my weight back.  I had an EGD done and I have a hiatal hernia, GERD, esophagitis... I have United Health insurance too.. in Colorado.   My insurance did approve my revision to gastric bypass.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/12/14 9:47 am

As mentioned above, the DS would be a better choice than gastric bypass, since you have the first half with your sleeved stomach (and the DS is a more successful surgery anyway).

It would be a shame to cut off your pyloric valve and ruin the sleeve and make it into a pouch. 

D. Switcher
on 5/14/14 12:50 pm

DS not necessarily better for individuals, even thought overall the data show it. I am doing Sleeve reversion to Bypass.

Sleeve to DS Conversion - Regain 290# Current weight: 252# - VSG lowest weight: 235#  

"Serenity to Accept, Courage to Change, and Wisdom to Know..."

***all comments are my personal experience and/ or opinion***

Heather B.
on 5/27/14 11:06 am - Wyandotte, MI
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/27/14 1:38 pm

Heather, in your reply, before you deleted you said "I can find no comparisons of VSG to RNY versus VSG to DS."

The are handy links to studies that you can read for free at DSfacts.com, or if you have access to Pubmed (you can access for free at most college librarys). 

cindyj578
on 5/13/14 5:10 am - Saint Cloud, FL
VSG on 03/08/07 with
MS.LISA
on 6/19/14 3:45 pm - Salem, OR

hi my name is Lisa and I noticed that you've just had your revision surgery last month and I was wondering how it went and also how did you find out about your esophagus and what makes you look into having that problem?

Most Active