Revision qualifications and options

LuminousGoddess
on 5/4/14 6:35 am

I'm currently being assessed for a revision of the gastric bypass I had in October 2002. My starting weight was 335 and I got down to 182 at my lowest. Plateaued for a 3-4 years at 210-215. Now I'm back up to 275 and I can eat a TON of food. It's so frustrating!!!! My surgeon has already performed an upper endoscopy and flow-thru with barium. My next appointment with him is this Thursday. I'd like some info on what the qualifications are for surgery and revision types that work well. My surgeon told my fiancé that he is considering lengthening the limb for more malabsorption. (This was right after the endoscopy while I was knocked out so I couldn't ask him any questions) In researching, I've found this procedure is not recommended due to risk of leaks. I really want to have the lap-band done... Any info would be very appreciated. Thanks!!! 

pineview01
on 5/4/14 10:40 am - Davison, MI

First you need to find out what your insurance requirements are for their qualifications.  

If you are interested in what type of surgery NOT to have I would recommend NOT getting the band.  It isn't a good surgery and even the manufacture is stating it is only temporary and will need to be replaced.  I would look into the the RNY to DS revision but, only a few surgeons are qualified to do it.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hislady
on 5/5/14 5:26 am - Vancouver, WA

What Piney said! There are some successful band over bypass (BOB) folks but in the long term I would stay away from the band as it causes so many problems for a huge number of banded people. It is still kind of experimental using it with the bypass, it took 10 years for us to find out it didn't work and caused so much damage to us regular banded folks. It hasn't been used BOB that long so we don't yet know what damage it may do there.

Suzysings
on 5/5/14 6:14 am - Woodstock, IL

The Bnad would not be good choice IMO---I had one for 2 years and had to have it removed. Why don't you see if you can have your pouch made smaller and a gastrojejunostomy---making the opening between your puch and small intestine smaller. That would help eating too much, and staying full longer.  Good Luck!!

May 2007 Lapband: Wt 210
May 2009 Lapband removal Wt 149
June 2010 Sleeve: Wt 171
Goal Wt: 136
LuminousGoddess
on 5/5/14 11:55 pm

Thanks for all the responses about the BOB. I'm doing more research on a DS or reducing my pouch size. I have plenty of questions for the surgeon on Thursday!!! Thanks again! 

Most Active