Having RNY after Band, and Sleeve?? I feel like a neverending project!!!!

Suzysings
on 4/28/14 12:39 am - Woodstock, IL

Hi, I had the Band in 2007, had it removed in 2009, had the Sleeve in 2010, and have had heartburn, GERD ever snce.  For the past 6 months, the HB has been worse, and despite several meds, I have damage to my stomach and esophagus, plus a large hiatal hernia, and my surgery is recommending an RNY---modified so that the bypassed intestine is shorter than normal.  I have about 25-30 pounds to lose. 

Has anyone else had all 3 procedures??  I feel like a freak. My surgeon is extremely good, I'm not worried about the surgery itself.  Could I actually lose too much weight (Gasp, I know!!!  Not something I would ever think about) What about hair loss?  Dumping? 

May 2007 Lapband: Wt 210
May 2009 Lapband removal Wt 149
June 2010 Sleeve: Wt 171
Goal Wt: 136
cindyj578
on 4/28/14 1:38 pm - Saint Cloud, FL
VSG on 03/08/07 with

I didn't have the band but did have the sleeve.....I developed severe GERD and have Barretts Esophagus.  They say that the only thing that will cure it is the RNY.  I am so miserable I can't wait to have the RNY.  My insurance has approved the surgery but I don't have a date until I get the clearance from my cardiologist which is May 5th.  Good luck, Cindy 

tdbull
on 4/28/14 1:49 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I had 2 bands, wanted to revise to the Sleeve but bc of my reflux, surgeon recommended RNY. So he saved me 1 surgery. I lost more weight than I even wanted to lose since revision, and even tho I was a lightweight, I think I lost it pretty quickly. So it can be done. You can read my blog for details. This said, I would have 10 surgeries before I regained and lived with weight. I need a tool, and am so happy with my revision. I wish you the very best.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Marianne W.
on 6/7/14 10:42 am

I also feel the same way! Had the band in 2007 and lost 100 pounds. Finally got pregnant and the band shifted. Had it removed in 2010. Had the sleeve several months later. Complete failure. I'm petrified of RNY and am 11 pounds shy of my highest weight of 277. Not sure of what to do next....

pineview01
on 6/7/14 1:52 pm - Davison, MI

If the sleeve didn't cause heart burn the next logical step is the DS.  You already have the 1st half.  I would go talk to the folks on the DS boards.  A lot of surgeons will recommend the RNY as they don't do the DS.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MsBatt
on 6/8/14 6:36 am

www.dsfacts.com

You're already got the stomach portion of the DS, the form of WLS with the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/9/14 2:21 am, edited 6/9/14 2:22 am

What's happening is you have an RNY surgeon that doesn't want to lose a paying customer even if he/she can't do what would be best for you.

Destroying a working sleeve that still utilizes your own pylorus and making it into a pouch, that very likely will have it's own new problems should be a crime. 

You are actually fortunate to have the first half of the most effective surgery available. You should have a consult with a surgeon that actually does the DS.

Whit
on 6/15/14 3:52 pm
Revision on 12/10/12

I fear if you revise to RNY you will still be a work in progress. I revised from RNY to DS 18 months ago and am very happy with my decision. It has not been easy but I know I did the right thing. I wish you luck but be sure to look into all of your options and make the choice that is best for you. 

Best,

Whitney

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Most Active