Band to Sleeve

Ronnie Wantstobethin
on 5/6/14 6:49 am

I had a band in 2008, had it removed because it eroded in 2009.  I lost around 60 lbs in the year and half I had the band.  After erosion, I did not put the band back, and my weight has consistently creeped up.  I am not as heavy as I was preband (268), but I am at 248.  I am scheduled to be sleeved on August 11th, pending insurance approval. I am 5.7" so my BMI is under 40, and I have no real medical issues at the time.  I am hoping insurance approves my surgery.  I am nervous and excited at the same time.  Hoping that the sleeve finally gives me some resolution.

pineview01
on 6/3/14 7:54 am - Davison, MI

Congratulations of getting your sleeve.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

S L.
on 5/13/14 12:56 pm, edited 5/13/14 12:57 pm - Canada

I got my band in 2004 , so it seems I am one of the vets . Had lost 110 pounds I think after about 4 or 5 years but started suffering from horrible GERD and had a Lupus fare. The band was opened for GERD and the meds for my Lupus. My weight started creeping up again and my band is more open then closed for the last 5 years. I am still way below my highest weight (around 70 pounds below) but I have to work hard to keep it there.
Because of my problems the band will be removed this summer. And I was thinking of getting a LSG if possible in one surgery since a surgery can trigger a Lupus flare. So I cross my fingers that the damage the band did is not too server and the both band out and sleeve can be done in one shot.

pineview01
on 6/3/14 7:55 am - Davison, MI

Yep you are one of the long time vets.  The company even says they are only good for about 10 years.  Good luck with your surgery.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

LaurieAr
on 9/3/14 1:34 pm - knobel, ar

i got mine done in 2006 and never had a problem and still don't even with the prolapse.  left surgeons today and having band taken out and converting to sleeve.  Praying it can all be done in one surgery but he will not know the damage of it until he gets in there.  your lucky, my insurance denied me 3 times even after 2 appeals

LaurieAr
on 8/21/14 12:57 pm - knobel, ar

I got banded i 2006 and now have a prolapse.  have appt with dr next friday to discuss the options.  Insurance will not cover another weight loss surgery so i'm going to be a self payer.  Seriously thinking of doing the sleeve but have heard that sometimes after having the band so long then going to sleeve you don't lose as much weight,  I have been plateaued for 2 years due to prolapse.

Most Active