Hoping for Revision from VSG to RNY or DS in August

Rappster
on 4/26/14 12:34 pm

I had a VSG in 2007, dropped from about 360 lbs to my lowest of 173.  I've regained to 270 lbs and am a couple months in on the way to a revision. I don't know which surgery I will end up with, that decision won't me made until they go in.  I'm not sure what to hope for.. RNY or DS.

I"m just relieved to know that in about 4 more months I'll be back on my way down.  Glad I didn't wait until I had gained back all the weight, and excited that I'm still starting off lower than I did last time.

I'm curious if any revision -ers out there went from a VSG to RNY or DS and if they just had the malabsortive intestinal bypass done or if there was also a revision to the stomach as well.  My restriction currently seems fine.. about 6 to 8 oz of most food, but only  3-4 oz of dense protein.

Cindy Cooney
on 5/3/14 1:55 am - NJ
DS on 06/30/14

With the vertical sleeve  - you are already half way to a DS.  I had RNY back in 2001 and I am scheduled for DS.   My highest weight was 380 and I got down to 220.  My current weight is 265.  I wish DS was offered back in 2001 because this would have been my first choice for a surgery.  My surgery is scheduled for June 30, 2014 and it has given me something to look forward to this summer.  The malabsortion is the best part of the weight loss.

RNY - 3/26/14

HW - 380

CW 0 259

DS - 7/30/14

HW - 285

CW - 264.4

Dr. Greenbaum

MsBatt
on 5/7/14 11:01 am

The DS has been around since 1988---just very few people knew about it, sadly.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/7/14 6:08 pm

The sleeve to DS is the only logical choice - you have half of it, and it's a more effective surgery than RNY. Of course, many more surgeons are trained to do RNLY than DS, so some recommend RNY no matter what, but I'd never let a surgeons skills, or lack of, determine what would be best for me to live with.

pineview01
on 5/8/14 7:44 am, edited 5/8/14 7:44 am - Davison, MI

The sleeve to DS is the logical Choice!  Some like our center only gives you the option of sleeve to RNY as that is all they do.  So of course they sell it as being as good. 

With that being said, you really need to look into why the VSG didn't work for you.  Did you stay on plan and journal and weight your food.  It you did and still have trouble the malabsortive part should help.  If not you may need to seek help and find out and deal with the issues that got you to where you are today.

A good therapist can go a long way in this journey.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active