Went in for RNY. Came out w Sleeve. So discouraged!

kdbird
on 4/22/14 1:16 pm

I am a revision patient. Banded 2007 and had minor weight loss w a lot of complications. I did soooo much research before deciding to convert to RNY. I went in April 15 for surgery. Dr was unable to perform because so much scar tissue was around my band. He was successful at giving me a sleeve. I am grateful he did 'something' rather than just take the band out and close me up, but I am so sad I didnt get what I wanted. 

I am looking for some major encouragement and advice about being successful with the sleeve. Since all of my research was done about the RNY I feel ill equipped to conquer the sleeve. I started at 228. Two week post op I lost 11 lbs, taking me to 217 the day of surgery. Ideally I would like to be 140 lbs. (Im 5'4 34 yo)  

I truly appreciate your comments. Thank you!!

pineview01
on 4/23/14 5:37 pm, edited 6/4/14 3:17 pm - Davison, MI

I usually see the opposite, due to the damage and scaring from the band people wanting the sleeve end up with a RNY.  You are the first I have seen this happen to.

You goals are easily do able with the sleeve.  Keep in mind you can't compare yourself with people having the RNY or VSG as a first surgery.  I was on a FB group with a large number of people that had surgery the same month.  I made a spread sheet with everyone's surgery type, starting bmi and weight that choose to share.

I was one of two revisions and one was band to rny and I was band to sleeve.  At six months I had lost more than one of the virgin vsg people.  At one year out I had done better than some with rny.  I also lost more EWL at a year out than HALF of the group.  I started at (had to look at the chart) 232 and have gotten to ~160 (I'm 5'5" and more than 20 years older than you)

So if you get your head straight you can do great.  I love my sleeve as it is doing what I thought the band would and didn't.  If done the road you really need the mal-absorption the sleeve can be converted into the DS.  

Any questions, ask away!

ps I am down 40/50 less than I every got with the band.  I'm also within 5 pounds of "normal"

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hislady
on 4/24/14 4:41 am - Vancouver, WA

You got a  blessing in disguise in my opinion. Try going over to the sleeve forum (they are very nice over there!) and check out how they are doing. Don't use your disappointment as an excuse not to succeed with the sleeve. The requirements are the same for both surgeries, diet and exercise should equal weight loss. Granted you don't have the malabsorbtion but that is really a good thing, now you don't have to take mega amounts of extra vitamins or worry about not absorbing medications. Trust me as you get older that will be an issue! The sleeve is an excellent surgery just familiarize yourself with the sleeve and how it works and I think in the end you will be happy with it. Best of luck to you!

MsBatt
on 4/24/14 12:21 pm
On April 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM Pacific Time, nicoletta84 wrote:

I think that in the long run, you'll be glad things turned out this way. The Sleeve and the RNY have similar long-term results, but the Sleeve leaves you with a fully-functional stomach without the potential complications of the pouch/stoma/blind remnant stomach of the RNY. You'll still be able to take NSAIDs and extended-release medications, too.

You're a relative light-weight. You should be successful with any form of WLS (well, other than the Band), as long as you stick to the rules. Good luck!

Something VERY STRANGE is going on here. *I* made this post yesterday, but it's showing up under Nicoletta84's name.

tbone88
on 4/24/14 12:42 pm - MO

This is total BS. I think that if you and your doctor discussed a certain surgery and he was not able to perform it he has no right what so ever to dicide on his own to do a completely different procedure. I think he should be accountable in some way.

HarvestMoon1974
on 4/24/14 5:29 pm - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

I have a friend who had the sleeve a couple of months ago, and she is doing amazingly well. I had RnY in 2005, and am now in need of a revision, due to a marginal ulcer. From what I've heard, that is not a problem with the sleeve, which is wonderful. I've heard of a lot of people having great results with the sleeve. I think you'll do just fine,once you make the mental adjustment to it.

Best wishes to you!

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

Amarain824
on 6/4/14 4:40 am - Fairview, NJ

I think you got super lucky! I wish I had gotten a sleeve first, then converted to a DS...I have an RNY and I gained back 60 lbs (out of 130), now at least you have easier secondary options if you need more help. good luck to you.  

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/4/14 1:20 pm

Honey, this is a blessing. You have no idea.

nicoletta84
on 4/23/14 1:57 am

I think that in the long run, you'll be glad things turned out this way. The Sleeve and the RNY have similar long-term results, but the Sleeve leaves you with a fully-functional stomach without the potential complications of the pouch/stoma/blind remnant stomach of the RNY. You'll still be able to take NSAIDs and extended-release medications, too.

You're a relative light-weight. You should be successful with any form of WLS (well, other than the Band), as long as you stick to the rules. Good luck!

Most Active