Stuck on plateau too soon!

lifecoachdebby
on 4/17/14 11:45 am - Sacramento, CA

Had original open RNY Dec. 1999. Weighed 365 only got down to 275. Bounced up to 325. The weight loss just stopped!! I couldn't handle the depression and shame. So just had an open RNY revision on March 3. It's only been 6 wks and here we go again! I've only lost 16 lbs in the 6 wks since surgery! In fact I've been stuck at 268 for the last 10 days! WHY????? I'm eating and drinking the right things (which isn't much) and also getting in 2 protein shakes a day. I try to walk some and go to the pool but the severe arthritis in my back shoots severe pain down my legs making it excruciating to walk. It's too soon for a plateau! I don't know what to do. I'm afraid I'm not going to lose anymore weight again. Has anyone out there been on a really long plateau so soon post-op? If so, how did you get the weight to start coming off again?

Hislady
on 4/18/14 4:31 am - Vancouver, WA

What kind of revision did you have? RNY to what?

lifecoachdebby
on 4/18/14 8:10 am - Sacramento, CA

From an RNY that was left too big of a pouch and too loose of a stoma to a smaller tighter one. 

Hislady
on 4/18/14 9:31 am - Vancouver, WA

Well as you can see I didn't have RNY so am just going by what I have read here on OH but quite often revisions don't lose as fast as original surgeries and RNY revisions don't tend to be as successful as when revising to a different surgery. I think part of the problem is that the first 12-18 mos after the original surgery the person malabsorbs but after that time there isn't the same amount of malabsorbtion so losing gets harder after that and also after a revision of the RNY. Depending on exactly what they do it can vary from little loss with the ROSE and stomaphyx to more with some other procedures. You may want to look at a revision to DS altho that takes a very skilled surgeon and there are very few of them around.

After all that, you have only been stuck 10 days and are newly revised so that really isn't very long to worry about, some folks go for months with a stall. It is enough to drive a person nuts but in the big scheme of things it really isn't that long. Are you limiting carbs, especially white ones? I'm a firm believer in low carb eating, they are so addicting at least for me. I have to keep mine under 30-40 a day if I want to lose. I'd say just stick with what you are doing along with weighing and measuring your food and the stall is bound to break hopefully sooner rather than later. I know you have problems absorbing certain pain meds, you may want to ask your doctor about some of the newer pain patches with low dose narcotics in them. I wear one and it works amazingly well.  Hang in there, you can do this.

lifecoachdebby
on 4/18/14 10:24 am - Sacramento, CA

Thanks for your reply. I know the loss is much slower with a revision. And being 61 and very post menopause makes it worse. My surgeon is award winning so she's capable of anything. But puts patients safety first. Revising to a an RNY to a DS is really not an option risk wise. I'm not eating anything white. I think the biggest obstacle is exercise due to my high amount of back & leg pain. But I will persevere. The scale actually dropped 1.4 lbs today. So I'm feeling a bit optimistic. :)

MsBatt
on 4/20/14 10:52 am

Unless you have health issues you haven't mentioned, in the hands of a competent surgeon converting an RNY to a DS isn't all that risky.

As for "My surgeon is award winning so she's capable of anything"---I call BS. NO surgeon is capable of everything---they all have their individual strengths and weaknesses. Your surgeon most likely does NOT do the RNY-to-DS, because there are no female vetted RNY-to-DS surgeons on the current list.

AngelicMythology
on 4/18/14 11:52 am - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

I'm an proximal rny to a distal rny revision. My weight loss has been extremely slow over the last 15 months. Just have patience. So far I've lost 87 pounds. I'm working on the last 8 pounds and then I really need to work on maintaining. I feel your going to lose but it's going to be extremely slow, too.  

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

lifecoachdebby
on 4/20/14 3:17 pm - Sacramento, CA

Thank you! Your response has made feel much better! :)

mrsgreenville
on 4/18/14 9:03 pm

I felt the same thing you are. I watched everyone I knew who had RNY lose 4-5 pounds a week. I lost 1-2 pounds every week with occasional weeks of nothing. Nada. Panic. Sorrow. But after 119 pounds in about a year I relaxed a bit. The upside was my skin mostly went back in place without a lot of surgery. If I didn't have the repeated strictures now I'd be pleased with my wls. I hope you have much success. Try not to panic yet. Wishing you the best. 

Most Active