Lap Band to ?

LeenaB
on 4/13/14 11:28 pm

I recently had an emergency lapband removal on 4/3/14 due to a slip, after having it for almost 7 years.  I had a minor slip in 2011, which was treated by having the fill removed completely and then slowly refilled.  

So now that I've bandless I'm researching new options.  I started at 350, banded at 333 and am now 210 and 5'5".  

I saw my surgeon last week and am now on a 500-700 calorie diet so I don't gain weight.  And he's recommending the sleeve. He's out of network now with my insurance and a little over an hour away (without traffic and sometimes 2 if it's rush hour).  So with complications it was not a pleasant drive up there to say the least.  I'm due to see him in 2 months to further discuss revisions.

In the meantime I'm going to get a second opinion from a surgeon much closer to me and in network with my insurance.

I'd love to hear good news about conversions.  I was on lapbandtalk which became bariatric pal- and there are so many horror stories out there of conversions/sleeves/ RNY.  And after just having my own band night mare (thankfully not a horror story as it was removed at the point where I was dehydrated from not getting in fluids due to pain, stomach pain and cramping- thankfully no pic lines or feeding tubes) I'm hoping to hear of some uncomplicated revisions.

MsBatt
on 4/14/14 1:37 am

Here's my opinion: if you took 7 years to lose 123 pounds with a Band, it's not likely that the Sleeve will help you lose much if any more. I think you've probably gone as far as restriction alone can take you.

This leaves the malabsorptive surgeries---the RNY and the DS. Both will cause lifetime malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals, so daily supplementation is vital. The RNY will also cause slight, temporary malabsorption of calories, but this goes away by about 18-24 months. The DS will cause permanent, significant malabsorption of calories, especially calories from fat. This is probably why the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats.

There are many now-DSers *****vised from the Band, the Sleeve, or the RNY. Try posting on the DS board for some feedback. You can also find them on some FB groups.

LeenaB
on 4/14/14 2:12 am

I did go as low as 150 pounds which put me at a size 2 in clothes.  That was in 2011 when I was diagnosed with my first slip, then my band was loosened and never went back to that sweet spot. 

With the band I lost all of my weight in the first 8 months, and actually went down to 150 pounds.  Since having the band removed I've actually lost weight- probably out of fear of gaining any more weight.

MsBatt
on 4/16/14 4:17 am

Then your metabolism is probably still in pretty good shape. If you lose well with just restriction, then I vote for the Sleeve!

Hislady
on 4/14/14 4:04 am - Vancouver, WA

I hate to not agree with MsBatt as she is a WLS guru! However if you lost that much with just a band then the sleeve probably will work for you altho you will still have to make the lifestyles changes required and stick with them all thru your life since this is still a life long battle even with surgery. From what I've read Lapband talk is very pro band and very unfriendly toward any other type of surgery. I know many people who had bands and didn't lose, who had sleeve surgery and lost wonderfully. I only know of 2 people who aren't happy with their sleeves and if I could get a sleeve I would (band removed in Feb. and can't revise because of other health issues). I know far more happy revisioners than than unhappy ones.

SuzinDallas
on 4/14/14 7:28 am

"From what I've read Lapband talk is very pro band and very unfriendly toward any other type of surgery."

About to be a former Lap-Band owner here...that's pretty much the stance most Banded people take. At least in my experience. I haven't been to that particular site before, but most are fiercely loyal-including me once upon a time. I know in my experience it's been more about justifying why I felt that setting myself up for a lifetime of Upper GI's and injections was the way to go.

Hislady
on 4/15/14 4:41 am - Vancouver, WA

I am a former lap band person, my band was removed in Feb. at my own expense I might add, still don't know what my final cost will be! I hated my band for most of the time I had it, except maybe my first year and even then I didn't lose but 20 lbs. with it, so I hear ya!

tdbull
on 4/16/14 7:57 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I had numerous issues with my band, but did lose 130lbs with it - then regained 60lbs. I had severe acid reflux and constantly getting stuck and throwing up, getting too tight when flying, etc. Surgeon recommended band removal and revision to RNY. I wanted the sleeve, but he said this would not address my reflux. I went with his suggestion and had band removal, revision to RNY and gallbladder removal in 1 surgery. At 8 months post op, I couldn't be happier with my decision. I take my vitamins religiously, and am on a schedule to assure I get my protein and liquids in. So far I have had no issues at all. I see my brother struggling with his sleeve now - he's about 18 months post surgery and going back to his old eating habits and gaining a little weight back, as well as still suffering from reflux. Best of luck with your decision.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Lilrebel
on 4/16/14 11:48 am

How bad was the recovery? I am scheduled for April 30th?

tdbull
on 4/17/14 12:58 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Unfortunately I had complications with the gallbladder removal (the revision went perfect) which kept me off work for 8 weeks. However, I travel a lot for business, so my situation may be different than yours. I could have sat at a desk sooner. Sorry I can't be more help in this area.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Most Active