Removal and revision in the same day?

Jost Dreams
on 4/22/14 3:28 am

My band was removed via emergency surgery due to a slip.  The doctor gave me the option to have the bypass at the same time but due to the slip I decided to let my stomach rest and recover.  The band was a traumatic experience.  I started the insurance approval process when I felt I was ready but our new insurance plan had a one WLS per lifetime clause.  We fought back and forth for about 4 months and I eventually was approved for the surgery.

Looking back I wish that I would have had the bypass the day of the band removal.  One less surgery and less weight gain while bandless.  During the 8 months with no band, I gained 50 bands.  The gastric bypass is the best thing I've ever done and I've had zero complications.  The lapband is the worst and I hated it the entire time!  Best of luck!!

pineview01
on 4/22/14 9:48 am - Davison, MI

I had the same happen.  My insurance went to the one WLS per lifetime.  The fight to get the band out wasn't to bad but, the one to get the sleeve was rough.  I had the surgeries done in two also.  Our center won't do it in one as recommended by the ASMBS.  I was upset when they first said they wouldn't do it in one surgery but after hear the reason why I no longer was.

Also I have kept track and the people that have had complication here are those that did the surgery in one like the ASMBS stated.  With that said many, the majority that do it in one don't have complication.  Knowing this I really do recommend people wait in between to heal to reduce the risk of complications.  Even with the 30 pound regain between band out and sleeve I would still do it in two if I had it to do again.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

bulldog76ss
on 4/22/14 4:00 am - OH

Had my lapband of 5 years removed at the same time.  The only thing bad that happened is that the doctor had to remove part of my stomach because of the band doing damage to it.  I am 6 months out now with no problems.  Glad I am rid of the lap band.  It always disturbed me that it was inside me doing nothing for me.  As far as the bypass goes, I am down 170# from my highest.  Its hard work but way worth it.  Good luck to you!

Most Active