Failed Lap Band (09) revision to RNY (LAP) 4/17/2014

FeFi
on 4/2/14 7:55 am - GA
RNY on 04/24/14

I am back for the first time in a long time.  But wanted to know if anyone has had any complications from having a revision from the band to the gastric bypass(RNY)?  In 7/2009 I had the band put in and lost 54 pounds.  Since then, I have regained all of my weight back and then some.   I met with a new Dr. here in Atlanta who has received an approval from my Ins carrier, for me to have the band removed and to go forward with the Gastric Bypass (LAP).

My surgery date is 4/17/2014 and if there are no issues he is going to go ahead and perform both in one setting.

Round2Robin
on 4/2/14 12:41 pm

I just had my revision surgery from a lap band to a gastric on 3/31/2014.  It has been a journey, and I had some issues with my band.  I am day 2 post op and it is more difficult recovery than the lap band.  I am on this journey too, so I pray for no complications. Good Luck!

FeFi
on 4/15/14 9:43 am - GA
RNY on 04/24/14

Thank you Round2Robin,

Did you have the band removed and RNY at the same time?  How are you feeling now?  

dani_g
on 4/3/14 6:13 pm - HI

Hopefully I will be on my way as well.....love to hear any advice from any of you.  Good health to you!

pineview01
on 4/5/14 9:03 am - Davison, MI

Good luck to all of your.  There are many here band to RNY, VSG and DS.  Our center does the revisions in two surgeries.  Many have had their revisions in one surgery and yes, the recovery seems harder for them.  Also some come out of the first surgery with just the band removal so don't be too upset.  Just know your stomach needed to heal first.  This doesn't seem to happen in the band to RNY as it does band to VSG

Congratulations of getting rid of your bands.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Kennerknecht
on 4/5/14 2:07 pm

Hello Love!!

Im in Mobile, Al (so about 4 hours away) and im facing the same exact situation! i got banded in 10/2009 and now im waiting on insurance approval to revise from band to RNY, im excited and nervous. I lost 80 pounds and have gained 50 of them. i would love to keep in touch if you want since we are along the same journey. my dr also said that he will do both if he thinks is safe when he takes the band out. :) good luck hun!!! 

-Cristy

Starting Weight - 350             Goal Number One 299
Surgery Weight-  335             Goal Number Two 249
Current Weight-  325             Goal Number Three 199
Goal Weight -      150             Goal Number Four 150

FeFi
on 4/15/14 10:19 am - GA
RNY on 04/24/14

Hi Cristy,

Thank you for sharing your story with me.  I didn't have to wait long for my Insurance approval.  It took about 2 weeks since I have problems with it.  There has never been a week that went by where I did not dump.  My pre-op appointment is tomorrow at 8am and I go in on 4/17 for the procedure here in Atlanta.  I am so nervous but happy at the same time.  I think I will feel better once this band is out.  Yes, please keep in touch.  I am thinking about documenting my journey this time via video as I did not do it last time :-)

Kennerknecht
on 4/15/14 11:46 am

like doing a youtube journey!? i would love to follow you, im thinking about doing that as well, as i have been watching videos for a while now. i hope all goes well with your procedure in a few days, i was just in atlanta over the weekend (its more like 6 hours! lol) my insurance requested more information from my dr so we will see. please keep in touch i am going to add you as a friend  i hope that is ok. 

Starting Weight - 350             Goal Number One 299
Surgery Weight-  335             Goal Number Two 249
Current Weight-  325             Goal Number Three 199
Goal Weight -      150             Goal Number Four 150

FeFi
on 4/15/14 9:41 am - GA
RNY on 04/24/14

Thank you for your encouraging feedback as I was concern with going under twice and questioned the Dr. if it would be safe doing both.   I have my pre-op at 8am tomorrow morning and then I am scheduled for 12 noon on 4/17/2014.

Please keep me in your prayers!!!

pineview01
on 4/15/14 1:23 pm - Davison, MI

Good luck and I will keep you in my thoughts, noon on 4/17/14.  Good luck and wishing you a safe and healthy surgery, recovery and weight lost journey.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active