revision from gastric bypass

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/14 10:55 pm - Las vegas, NV

Has anyone had a revision from gastric bypass to VSG or lapband?

1vamp
on 3/30/14 9:43 am - MI
Im having a revision on April 21st from a RNY to a VGS due to sever hypoglycemia and malabsorption ....

Amy Signor

lawatson17
on 4/4/14 4:34 am - Milwaukee, WI

I just met with my surgeon yesterday.  He plans to convert me from a RNY to VGS because of hypocalcemia, hypoparathyroid and malabsorption.  I worry about losing the dumping.  I also wonder if I will lose more weight?  I'm only up about 25 lbs after 11 years of having the RNY.  I have major issues because of the low calcium - (my thyroid was removed almost 4 yrs ago).  The VGS didn't exist yet when I had my first surgery!  I feel like I have to go back and figure out all the do's and don'ts again!

heathercross
on 3/30/14 9:41 pm - New York, NY

I had a RNY in 2002 and a Band in 2011. Its called a BOB - Band over Bypass.  Read my profile and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/1/14 3:56 pm

Lots of folks who went from gastric bypass to DS, which has the VSG sleeved stomach, but not many surgeons can do that surgery. I wouldn't recommend a lapband to an enemy. Horrible stats. 

Have you been losing too much weight?  

You may have issues losing or maintaining going only to vsg, as you will no longer have any malabsorbtion, which you body has become accustomed to. If you are still needing to lose, you may need to look at a revision to DS. 

pineview01
on 4/5/14 8:45 am, edited 4/5/14 8:48 am - Davison, MI

If you have kept your weight off with the RNY four year, the VSG should work for you.  With the RNY you lose the ability to absorb the calories and are working with just the smaller stomach.  Also you get back your pyloric valve and you don't have to worry about the stoma stretching and letting the food to fast.

Could you share some more info.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/14 9:23 am - Las vegas, NV

Thanks for the reply. I have regained a lot of my weight, so that is why I am thinking of a revision. I don't have restriction and am hungry all the time. I still eat small portions but I don't lose. 

Most Active