Revision from LapBand to VSG...scared...

meggiry
on 3/19/14 8:39 am - Somerset, KY

I had a LapBand in 2004 and was doing okay until my mother became seriously ill in 2010. I developed an issue with belching which was causing my band to slip, so my fill was partially evacuated...and the weight started coming back...  In 2012, my gynecologist found a grapefruit-sized cyst on my left ovary, and I had the unpleasant experience of being refused outright by two surgeons before finding one who would (grudgingly) take the ovary out because of my size. I was told that I was too large to have the procedure lap, so it was open, and then the surgeon told me afterward, "I would have done a total hysterectomy, but I couldn't get to everything because of your weight." My father, who is a doctor, received the surgical notes and scolded me for putting her in such a difficult position as a surgeon! It was humiliating, painful, and a sharp reality check.

Mom was diagnosed with terminal colon cancer, so I shelved my approval for revision to VSG last year (2013) to care for her. She passed in December, so here I am, looking at doing the revision some time this summer. While she was sick, the remainder of my band fill was pulled when the belching thing started back up- and now I'm about fifty pounds below my all-time high weight (380).

I'm really scared about doing this. I did the LapBand because I didn't want my stomach resected, but now I feel that I have no choice. What experiences have you all had with this type of revision? My surgeon has never lost anyone on the table, so I shouldn't be scared, yet...

Hislady
on 3/19/14 11:02 am - Vancouver, WA

I;m sure you are well aware any surgery can have complications however from all my reading the sleevew is a fairly easy surgery as surgeries go. As long as you have a good surgeon with a good record you should do fine. Nearly everyone I know who has had the sleeve just loves it. They all say it is so much better than the band and gives better weight loss. If I could revise it would be with the sleeve but alas I have other health issues that won't allow the surgery. That's OK with me tho because so far I am still losing without my band. I do have to be diligent with my diet but that's ok too. The band kinda soured me on any other weight loss procedures as long as I'm still losing on my own.

pineview01
on 3/19/14 11:17 am - Davison, MI

I just want to give you a big hug Hislady.  You are such a great and giving person.  I really want for you some day to have what I have.  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hislady
on 3/20/14 4:08 am - Vancouver, WA

Thanks so much Piney you are pretty awesome yourself! I appreciate the thoughts!

pineview01
on 3/19/14 11:14 am, edited 3/20/14 1:48 pm - Davison, MI

I understand how you feel!  Two weeks before getting my sleeve I started having doubt about what I was doing.  I am here to tell you getting the sleeve was easier than getting the band placed and the surgery to get it out.  I did OK with the band lost more than their goal for me and considered a success. Than I had problems with the band.

The band is the best thing I have done for myself.  I am almost normal at 160, need to lose 5 more.  I just wish I could have gotten the sleeve when I got the band.  Good luck you will be so glad.

Just make sure you do your research and are prepared.  Find a good therapist that works with eating issues to help you.  It is time for you to do for YOU now.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Jaieni
on 3/19/14 3:22 pm - Bronx, NY
RNY on 01/14/16

I was a band to sleeve convert and it was the best decision ever!  If the surgeon and medical team is confident in the procedure for you I would say ask all questions you have and go for it. I may be converting to bypass but that is do to other medical issues, otherwise the sleeve to me was a godsend. My sis had surgery in August and I told her not to even consider the band and highly recommended the sleeve and she is doing phenomenal!
It was a fairly easy surgery and so long as you are committed and confident in your team you will do well :) Good luck.

tdbull
on 3/20/14 7:22 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I went band to RNY due to my reflux problems. The best decision I made! Best of luck to you.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

pineview01
on 3/20/14 1:50 pm - Davison, MI

If you go to the VSG/sleeve forum you will find many grateful band to sleevers!

airbender
on 3/21/14 12:25 pm

first, I am sorry for your loss, you are a giver, taking care of your mom, my mom is in a nursing home, and it hurts me everyday.   what pissed me off for how you were treated, I bet you were humiliated.  I am sorry but the most hurtful thing for me to read was what your father said to you- your parents are there to protect you and care for your always.  he could have said it differently from a place of love and kindness and concern, not scolding you for putting the surgeon in a difficult place--oh my gosh.  I am sad for you.

I am also a lap band revision.....I know how you feel...you will be ok

pineview01
on 3/21/14 1:18 pm - Davison, MI

I 'm glad you commented on this for her sack.  Her father is verbally abusive in my book.  I may be out of line but, I have to believe he is part of the problem. (My ex was like this.)

OP  I would find a good therapist that works with eating issues to work with while the going thru this.  It can make such a big difference to have some to help getting thru this.  I am blessed to have a therapist that had WLS and really gets it and me.

Most Active