Revision from VSG to RNY

socialite
on 3/17/14 10:36 am - TX

I had the VSG on October 17/2011
I had a wonderful post op experience. I feel i had reasonable amounts of pain. The staff is great. I lost about 60 lbs. I am now lactose intolerant and have acid reflux... and 50lbs also crept back up. 
I have started the process of getting a revision from VSG to RNY. I now kick myself for not doing it in the first place. I was afraid of the malabsorption. My surgeon is in the process of submitting to my new insurance for approval due to medical need. I had an endoscopy that confirmed damage to my esophagus due to the acid reflux. I am working with a nurse case manager from my new insurance to get all paperwork in. It will be up to the new insurance if i have the revision now or if they require the 6 month diet.

I would like to communicate with others who have been through the process.

Thank you.

cindyj578
on 3/17/14 1:41 pm - Saint Cloud, FL
VSG on 03/08/07 with

I am in the middle of this process myself.  I had the VSG in 2009.  I have acid reflux so severly that I have barretts esophagus and it keeps getting worse.  I have gained 50 pounds myself as I feel that I eat to ease the pain.  My insurance denied it at first.  So it has been re-submitted as a reconsideration.  Hoping to hear this week as to if it has been approved or not.  I know that the RNY will help with the acid reflux, hope the insurance company sees it that way as well.  keep me posted on your process and good luck.  

Cindy

socialite
on 3/19/14 9:11 am - TX

Oh i hope everything works out.  let me know how it goes for you also!

deby_S
on 9/19/16 3:50 pm - TX

Hi Cindy,

I have just developed severe reflux and on the verge of Barette's.  Benign lesion - thank the Lord.  I am taking a lot of PPI and carafate, which I can't take forever.  Going to bariactic doc tomorrow and I know they will push the RNY revision for this.  Any info you can share would be appreciated.  I worry about the surgery itself, what foods will I be able to eat.  How much do you eat at a time, do you have vitamin deficiencies, do you have to take massive amounts of vitamins, etc.  I loved the VSG because I could eat mostly what I wanted with no problems.  Just not a lot.  I have been very healthy and kept my weight where I wanted it.  I could have a little dessert once in a while and it didn't bother me.  Occasionally I would have a hypoglycemic thing, but only if I had too much sugar and not enough protein in the day.  I could even have a glass of champagne or two once in a while.

Just very nervous and never knew this was a possibility from VSG.

Thank you for sharing,

Deby

Deby

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.    
cindyj578
on 9/20/16 5:23 pm - Saint Cloud, FL
VSG on 03/08/07 with

Hi Deby, I did have the revision from the VSG to the RNY.  I had to do it because the bile from the liver is what my reflux was as well as the stomach acid.  They did the 150 limb instead of the 100 to make sure that the bile could never get to the esophagus.  In that respect, it has worked.  I unfortunately still have severe acid reflux.  I still take all the medication that I did before the revision, I just don't have the bile from the liver getting into the stomach.  I am so unhappy with the RNY.  I was so much happier with the VSG.  With the VSG, I was never hungry.  But with the RNY, I am so hungry all the time.  I did lose a little weight but not much.  If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.  

deby_S
on 9/20/16 6:18 pm - TX

Thank you.  I am so sorry for your experience.  I had the VSG when it was new, and it has been a life saver for me.  But of course they didn't have the data available to say reflux could be a problem down the road.  I am praying that the EGD shows a hernia that can be repaired and takes care of it.  Weird to hope you have a hernia!  But if I don't get it under control I could end up with esophageal cancer, and that is not preferable either...

Deby

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/14 8:47 am

I had my VSG in September 2011.  Lost 70 lbs and have now gained back 35.  Have had some reflux since sleeve but six months ago, got very severe.  Now on Nexium 40 mg 2x day. Dr. says RNY is best fix for both and it was submitted to insurance on 3/11.  Still waiting for response.  In the meantime I keep going back and forth as to whether I want to proceed.  Dr. says if I don't do now, I'll still need to somewhere along the line.  I never wanted RNY so I'm struggling with this decision.  Woke up Saturday and decided to go ahead but that could change again.

Wish I'd hear from insurance so I could schedule and stop over analyzing this.

socialite
on 4/2/14 8:49 am - TX

me too! now im just playing the waiting game and in the mean time over thinking everything!

GonnaBeSlim
on 4/28/14 5:13 am

Hi, I'm new and had vsg in 2009, lost and kept off 90 lbs for 3 yrs, then depression and meds caused a 70 lb weight gain that feels like 100. I am having a revision to rny may 13th, but never dealt with Ohip at all. No one has ever even mentioned a possibility of not being approved, so your post has me a bit jumpy.  I have severe GERD, too, btw

G.

deby_S
on 9/19/16 3:44 pm - TX

Hi, I am having the same issue six years out.  I have always been afraid of RNY but the GERD is horrible and 3 months on a lot of meds has not healed it.  Going to bariactric doctor tomorrow and I know he will suggest RNY.  Any info you can share since you are 2 years out.  If you can help by answering some questions, I would really appreciate it.  They are:

1. Will the RNY cure the GERD forever?
  2. How has it been eating food; can you still eat about anything?
  3. Do you have to take a lot of vitamins and do you have iron or other deficiencies?
  4. How was the recovery?

And anything else you can share!

Thanks so much,

Deby

Deby

Most Active