Needing WLS Revision in MD

anrota4
on 3/17/14 1:41 am - Baltimore , MD

I had gastric bypass in 2002 and I've gained a significant amount of weight back. I want to look into having revision surgery done because I'm certain that my pouch has dilated quite a bit. I'm scared of even more weight gain in the future and I"m not sure what to do. Does health insurance typically cover revision surgery? I have BCBS.  

KiKi31
on 3/19/14 5:14 am

i went to the doctor after pain, discomfort, weight regain, and inability to lose even when i bust my but working out and it was discovered that i have a large gastric fistula. it is a complication, not my fault and my mind is some what relieved. I was so hard on myself and blamed myself, now i know it as not in my mind, something was wrong. my insurance is covering mine because it is a complication of surgery maybe you should get your doctor to check you out... maybe you have a complication as well.

pineview01
on 3/19/14 10:45 am - Davison, MI

Do you have the fistula from the pouch to the old stomach that lets the food go into your old stomach?  I have seen that a couple times here and in no way can it be considered your fault.  Congratulations on getting approval and getting this taken care of.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

pineview01
on 3/19/14 10:52 am - Davison, MI

It will depend on your personal policy.  BCBS may cover the revision for some and not others based on which coverage is "bought".  It also has big changes from state to state.  Just an example:  My daughters work had BCBS with one state and she couldn't have the vsg.  When they switched to BCBS thru another it was considered experimental and those with BCBS of Michigan it was covered without doing anything.  BUT, even though they only required a 3 month supervised diet, her work place required her to do the 6 month.

You need to get a copy of yours to know what your's covers.  You usually can get the info by calling.  Also how it is coded can make a big difference.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

anrota4
on 4/2/14 1:03 am - Baltimore , MD

Thank you for this! It was helpful.

anrota4
on 4/2/14 1:07 am - Baltimore , MD

I've had my labs and an upper GI done and as I figured, my iron is very low. What I hadn't counted on was my stomach still being very small. I literally have to eat all day and I don't feel full whatsoever. When I ingest anything, it goes through the stomach and immediately into my duodenum. I don't feel full because food doesn't stay in my stomach at all. This is concerning because it means that digestion doesn't really begin until it enters my duodenum. This would explain why meds taken in pill form generally aren't as effective and I have heavy large poops. What would be the fix for this? Is there a solution, or will I just be like this?

pineview01
on 4/2/14 5:56 am - Davison, MI

This happens when the stoma stretches out.  That is the man made opening from your pouch to the intestine.

There are a couple options.  They can go down thru throat and make the opening smaller.  I haven't seen good results from this one so far.  The big fix is the RNY take down and revision to DS.  This one is the best as it gives you back your pyloric valve BUT, it is a very hard surgery and you need to go to one of the few surgeons that have expertise in this revision.

anrota4
on 4/2/14 9:07 pm - Baltimore , MD

Is the surgery to repair this considered to be urgent? I'm tired of feeling extreme hunger all the time. Most of my labs are ok, but my Vitamin D and iron remain very low despite prescribed supplements and shots.

pineview01
on 4/3/14 11:16 am - Davison, MI

Some people never get the surgery to make the stoma smaller.  They have to deal with the hunger as the food goes right thru.  As you still have your blind stomach making ghrelin it is so very hard for you.  Keep on top of your iron.  Some people have to have iron infusions.

Most Active