Help!!

tdbull
on 3/14/14 2:52 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I revised from band to RNY, after consultation with my surgeon. I had so many problems with my band that all I could eat was slider foods and ended up gaining back 60 of the 130 lbs I lost with the band. Then I got such severe acid reflux that I didn't sleep flat for over a year. I wanted the sleeve bc my brother had the sleeve a year ago and is doing well, but surgeon said that this wasn't a good choice for me because it wouldn't alleviate the reflux. So I researched and went with RNY. I am so glad that I did, because I see my brother sliding back to old habits and eating ALOT in one sitting. He's gained about 7lbs back - I am still early out in my journey, but in 7 months I have lost 74lbs, 50.75 inches and feel awesome. I don't know if I dump bc I stay completely away from high sugar and high fat foods. I have tons of energy and haven't felt this good in years. I am so glad I chose to go with RNY. I wish you the best in your decision-making. BTW - my brother still has reflux with his sleeve. I haven't had a single reflux or irritation since my surgery, and now I can use spices and seasonings without irritation. My food tastes so good now.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Lilrebel
on 3/15/14 3:37 pm

you have no idea how much i needed someone to say something positive about the revision to RNY. After having my band for 8 years it is causing damage and other issues so it will be coming out within the next two months pending insurance. I always thought I would do the sleeve but do to damage I am only a candidate for a safe RNY. Thank you for posting, 

Becca

tdbull
on 3/16/14 12:53 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
You will do great. It is a completely different lifestyle. Keep in touch and I wish you the very best. BTW I had my band removed, RNY, and gallbladder removed in 1 laparoscopic surgery.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

mrsgreenville
on 4/17/14 11:17 am

Onlly you can decide what is best for you.  You're definitely on the right track with lots of research.  I had RNY 5 yrs ago and have to have revision because of repeated strictures, but I'm unusual.  I wish I could help more, but I will tell you, you are doing just what I did.  There's no guarantee no matter what, but knowledge is best.  I sat and made a list pros and cons of both I was considering and found one list kept growing with pros.  Maybe that will help.  Best of luck no matter what you decide.  Oh, and with my RNY I had very little dumping, it's different with every person. 

Most Active