Help!!

lucky62756
on 3/7/14 10:05 pm - York Haven, PA
VSG on 12/02/14

Is it possible to research to much ? The sleeve. The RNY, the sleeve. The RNY, I could scream !!!   I talk to ppl on both sides and get " this is the best"!! Well I was told that when I was researching the band. And now mine is coming out, here is what I want to happen. I want to loose about 80 lbs. anymore I think I would sickly I weigh 235 n 5'4".  I have some reflux. Don't want that stuck, sliming stuff. I need to loose weight because of a bad back, had 5 surgeries so far, bad knees, 1 was replaced,  joint pain, high bp , I take Vicodin for pain,  incontenence. No energy at all, Now, someone tell me " which one would you do"? Doctor tells me to feel what is right for me, both are good surgeries, sleeve means only Tylonal for pain, RNY means dumping. Help!!!!!

2/09 pre. 264.7            214 lbs. Band removal.  4/29/20014       revision to sleeve 12/2/14  243.4

lacey34
on 3/7/14 11:24 pm

I always research so much that I stress myself out with the choices so in my opinion... yes.  I have a band over bypass currently so will just give you my experience with the bypass.  The band has turned out to be a pain in the butt.  I'm glad that I got my RNY in 2004.  It saved my life.  I was literally going to eat myself to death I think.  However, the complications I've had are serious.  I get dumping and then hypoglycemic attacks every day.  I've had to give up dairy and most carbs at this point.  I've had problems with b12 and vitamin d despite being vigilant with my vitamins.  I found out that I have to use the methyl-b12 by mouth to supplement the cyanocobalamin injections.  I also take prescription meds and with the rny can't use anything extended release which makes some things difficult to treat.  Despite all of these things though I am still grateful to be alive.  It has been an invaluable weightloss tool for me.  I got the band in 2011 because I had regained to 225 and freaked out.  I'm currently 155lbs down from 300 at my top weight.  I work a very rigid program with my doctors and nutritionist to adhere to the new dietary regimen I have to do.  I also have a bad back and tylenol doesn't cut it most of the time unfortunately.  Keep in mind that not everyone gets dumping from the RNY or the vitamin issues.  It just depends on how your body adjusts to it.  Best of Luck!

Hislady
on 3/8/14 3:27 am - Vancouver, WA

OK as you know I don't have either surgery but IF I were to decide for myself I would still go with the sleeve. In fact one reason to choose the sleevbe is that you CAN take most pain medications and trust me I take several so have checked it out. Most docs say you can even take NSAIDs with a sleeve especially if you use an anti acid before hand. I would want a surgery that I can work for a life time not one with a limited usefulness. The RNY has a honeymoon period of malabsorbtion of the first 12-18 mos then the body learns to start absorbing the calories again, one reason so many RNYers regain. The sleeve is permanent as long as you don't over do and cause stretching but then the stretchiest part of the stomach is removed so you really have to work at stretching it. If you just remember to "under eat your sleeve" you should be able to maintain your weight loss whe you get to goal. Plus with the sleeve IF you lose too much you can certainly up your calories to add a few pounds. Most sleevers don't slime unless they eat too much or too fast and usually one episode is enough to teach them not to do that. I also figure reflux can be dealt with if it becomes an issue, most sleevers use a PPI for the first year anyway to keep acid controlled. So those would be my reasons for choosing a sleeve but in the end you have to decide what will work best for you. I can't have either surgery now because my COPD is too bad and my lungs can't take a long surgery, was barely able to get my band out. Good luck to you!

lucky62756
on 3/8/14 5:47 am - York Haven, PA
VSG on 12/02/14

I can always count only OH friends. If it were not for you guys I would have been lost back in 2008 when I started doing research. After any talks, web surfing, talking face to face with VSG & RNY's, I  asking for the sleeve. I  do stressed out as go what I have even read. I thank you All from the bottom oft heart for everything you have told me. I just feel there is south out there to learn. To me the band was " nothing" but this next surgery will be permanent. Thank you!!! ;)

2/09 pre. 264.7            214 lbs. Band removal.  4/29/20014       revision to sleeve 12/2/14  243.4

Hislady
on 3/8/14 9:47 am - Vancouver, WA

I just so pray that this will work out for you, but I think it will because you already have changed what and how you eat so you know what to do, you just need a tool that actually works! I was so disappointed when I finally figured out that I really can't have any surgery unless I am in a life threatening situation. My lungs were pretty o****il last year when I got pneumonia. Then when I had to get the band out they insisted I spend at least the first night if not several in the ICU. That scared me big time, praise God I did fine and didn't need a breathing tube like they feared and I got to move to a regular room the next morning, but the whole thing was pretty scary! I wish you the very best and will be praying for an uneventful, successful surgery for you!

lucky62756
on 3/8/14 10:06 am - York Haven, PA
VSG on 12/02/14

Thank you!! I will let you know what happens at my appt, 3/24. Hugs. 

Sherrie P.
on 3/9/14 11:20 am
RNY on 02/06/13

The malabsportion of RNY is temporary - but the pouch is not.  The restriction from the smaller stomach is in place as long as you do not stretch it.

You can stretch your sleeve. You can also drink milkshakes and eat sugary foods with the sleeve.  You still have to be disciplined.

With the RNY only 30% dump.  IF you dump then your body won't let you make those bad choices that you can make with the sleeve.

If NSAIDS are that important to you then you should consider the sleeve.  If you do not want strict vitamin supplementation then go for the sleeve. I did RNY because I was afraid that the sleeve would be Band Part 2 for me.  

If people go back to old habits with ANY surgery it will fail.  You can just as easily consume too many calories with the sleeve as you can the RNY.  Or the band of course.

BTW  - I weigh 145 and am almost 5'8 and look no where near sickly. You may change your mind when get closer to goal.  This is the healthy weight table for small/medium/large frame women at 5'4".  I am just mentioned it because if you are medium frame and your 100% excess weight loss would be losing 100 lbs, your "expected" weight loss with WLS may play a roll.  According to my program, the average weight loss with the sleeve is 55-70% and RNY is 65-75%; so a little higher.  Of course there are lots of people that make it to 100%.  Good luck with your choice!!

5'4"

114-127

124-138

134-151

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Lilrebel
on 3/10/14 10:35 am

Thanks for this info. I am a slipped band and totally flipped port now for two years and soon to be revised to RNY. I will keep this info for reference during my transition.

Becca

melmcc99
on 3/10/14 11:12 am - NJ

Lucky, I am in the same boat. Banded in 2006-dec. Removal April 3, 2014. Looking at sleeve or nothing.  My one concern is long term acid reflux. Who wants to deal with that!? I think its around 20% -30%. Ugh. Such decisions. 

pineview01
on 3/13/14 7:39 am - Davison, MI

Lucky, I say if you lost with the band and did well until the band stopped work for you you will do great with the sleeve.  If you didn't have reflux, stuck and sliming before the band, you will do great with the sleeve.

If you never lost with the band but, didn't ever get to a "sweet spot" you still could so well with the sleeve.  The sleeve works how we were told the band would but didn't.  Now if you did get perfect restriction with the band and still didn't lose you may be someone that needs the RNY.  If you had GERD before the band, you may need the RNY.

With the RNY you lose malabsortion after 18-24 months or so.  At that point you still have the malabsortions on vitamins and nutrients.  Also I wouldn't count on always having the small pouch as they can and do stretch but, the may complication is the man made stoma can stretch.  When that happens the food just "falls thru" from the little pouch to the intestines and you have no restriction.  This when you have people coming back here looking for a ROSE, over-stitch or BOB.

All procedure have pros and cons.  I do know that the sleeve keeps the pyloric valve in take.  That if the band worked until failure the sleeve will work better.  I also know that if you need mal-absorption later you can get the DS, in my case at selfpay.  I also know if the RNY doesn't work the ROSE, over-stitch and BOB doesn't seem to work well for most and the only other option is the RNY to DS which is not a option for a lot of people.

Your surgeon is wrong if they said only Tylonal for pain, that is the RNY.  The advantage of the sleeve is if you need NSAIDs.  That is how my daughter got the sleeve when it was "experimental."

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active