Stapling now revision?

dolce1968
on 3/5/14 3:04 am

Couldn't get into this forum for the longest time from home so now trying from work, I had stapling done back in the early 90s and gained all plus some back, I've got health issues and then someone told me about OH.  Since coming onboard, I've read so many wonderful stories.  I have my appointment tomorrow in Toronto, Ontario with Dr Hagan and hopefully he approves and advised he can do the revision. My only concern would be, will the weight come off or will there be a stand still?

Anyone who has gone through the same, please help.

Thanks much!

Ladytazz
on 3/6/14 10:09 am

Traditionally they say that revisions lose slower but that wasn't my experience.  I fully expected very slow loss given my revision and the fact that I am older.  My first WLS, in 2002, I didn't seem to lose that fast so I prepared myself for a long ride.  I was shocked when the weight came off faster then I ever experienced, except perhaps when I was 20.  It really depends on you in a lot of ways.  I followed my doctor's post op eating plan to the letter.  I didn't do that the first time and I was trying to do things differently this time since the first time didn't work out so well.

I also looked long and hard at what brought me to the operating table, not once but twice, and vowed to use this second chance as best I could.  It took me a while but I finally figured out that WLS is not a get out of jail free card, a way to eat whatever I wanted and still lose weight, but just a tool to help me eat the way I needed to to get to a healthy weight and stay there.

So, if you use the surgery the way it's intended and follow the rules there is no reason you shouldn't be satisfied with your rate of loss.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

pineview01
on 3/6/14 12:42 pm - Davison, MI

How did the appointment go?  What are you revising too?  They say revisions are slower loser but, that may because revisions are usually starting at a slower rate and the less you have to lose the harder it gets for all.  Also you are usually few years older and that may make it a little harder.  That said with the band I lost about 50/60 pounds the first year and ended up at over 200.  With the sleeve I lost 60/70 the first year and ended up at 160/normal (almost).

I am so much happier with the sleeve than the band.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

dolce1968
on 3/7/14 3:00 am

My appointment went well, BMI iss 44 so all the weight I lost came back plus some.  It's funny because I thought my pouch had stretched but according to my scope, the pouch was intact, the problem was where my food has been going and my small intestine so, Dr H has suggested that I have RnY revision surgery.  He resubmitted my application to the registry, once I hear from them I guess it's full speed ahead.

He was very kind, helped alot.  I was nervous and been feeling like alot of this was my fault, I explained I hardly eat, throw up constantly and have the reflux, he reassured me it can all be taken care of.

Thanks!
L

pineview01
on 3/7/14 3:56 am - Davison, MI

So did he say you had a stricture?  Just wondering as many here get the RNY to cure re-flux  and you have it.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

dolce1968
on 3/7/14 5:17 am

He mentioned something about stricture and narrowed canals, also stated that when food goes down its getting caught in the smaller intestine if that makes sense, he said that the revision will stop the acid reflux and that i will need to stay on vitamins

pineview01
on 3/9/14 9:21 am - Davison, MI

Yep, makes since.  Some times the use a balloon to open it and it may take more than one try.  Good luck and hope this takes care of your problems.

lucky62756
on 3/7/14 10:24 pm - York Haven, PA
VSG on 12/02/14

Call me stupid but, what is stricture? Never heard of it. Had my scope done, doc said it looks good he should me a pic, but will discuss it on. 3/24

2/09 pre. 264.7            214 lbs. Band removal.  4/29/20014       revision to sleeve 12/2/14  243.4

pineview01
on 3/9/14 9:25 am - Davison, MI

A stricture is a narrowing of a passage.  Like where they sew the intestine to the new pouch in a RNY, called a stoma, it may heal to tight and leave a very small/no opening.  Or also the area where the sew an intestine to another.  

It also can happen when they remove a band and turn it into a sleeve.  Some times the weak area where the band was can be weak/thin and this area heals down and leaved a very tight/no passage.

Most Active