Trying for a Revision

Zee Starrlite
on 3/1/14 1:57 am

It does not sound like anything was wrong with your surgery.  You had a proximal RNY turned into a distal so you could malabsorp  more calories, nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.  So now it is easier to lose and maintain but self care for the rest of your life is crucial.  You can't skip a beat with your protein or vitamins. 

Our beautiful Ms. VitaLady Michelle has a distal RNY and shows by example the special care that must be taken with this extreme bypass.

I think I am feeling a bit sensitive about people complaining about vitamin deficiencies after WLS after they neglected to take their supplements.  Then they are like " my teeth are loose and falling out". "I am dying from this surgery". We have to do what we signed on to do or yes our surgeries will fail and we can die from being neglectful.

All Best!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Zee Starrlite
on 3/1/14 2:31 am

No offense meant to you Angelic.  Just got into a General rant from all I have be reading/seeing (600lb life) and feeling sad & bad about.  Just saying we can't take take this WLS lightly.  I researched the DS for years and believe it is a fantastic surgery but we weigh what is best for us.  Do what we are willing to comply with.  We don't have a WLS if we don't feel like taking our vits & protein.  We made a deal and we must comply or suck up what we did to ourselves.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/14 4:32 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

Oh yes I agree with you. Taking vitamins is sooo important and when someone fails to do that--I am sorry but the responsibility falls on them and not the surgery. Now if they are taking vitamins and getting labs and are still deficient--that's not their fault it is just something that unfortunately can happen after any wls and must be dealt with the best way it can. I agree, we all know what we are signing up for. It's just one of those things.

AngelicMythology
on 3/1/14 6:18 am - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

No offense taken. My point was just everyone is different. I did a lot of research. The ongoing joke with my friends at the time had been I should had done my graduate thesis on revisions instead, lol.  My surgeon only explained to me that the amount of my intestines were abnormally long after I had my surgery. He was saying usually the length of intestines he seen in me, he would be expecting me to be a few feet taller than I am easily.  I'm just glad if I was going to have some extra parts that it was internally, lol. Also by no means am I complaining about taking a tiny little dry vitamin D vitamin or all my multi. I follow up with my surgeon still every 3 months along with a laundry list blood tests a few weeks before my follow up appointments.  I feel blessed I was able to have a second chance.  I just want to make sure I maximize my success in every way possible.

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

SkinnyScientist
on 3/1/14 2:56 am

HI there!  Dr. Fitzer was my surgeon. I am 2 months out, no complications.

If you are thinking of revizing to DS, Fitzer doesnt do DS.  Well, he didnt 2 months ago.

Feel free to PM.  If you are in the area, we can meet for tea somewhere.

I only saw Dr. Fitzer 5 times. ONce for the seminar, once for the consult, surgery day, and 3 times after (while in the hospital).  HIs support staff is very nice and efficient though. I keep up with nut. with "weird food questions" about once a week.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Epthomas59
on 3/6/14 4:15 am

Hey SkinnyScientist, how are you doing? How did your surgery go and what was the approximate time from consultation to surgery did it take?

Epthomas59
on 3/18/14 11:06 pm

So I went to my consultation appointment with Dr. Fitzer, costing me 235.00 just for the cosultation. He seems like a good surgeon, however, he made me feel it was my own fault for gaining back weight and giving me doubtful expressions when I told him what I normally eat, which is chicken, hardly any starches, salads, some fruits and vegetables. He asked me what my weight was before I went into the hospital in 2004 and I said 299, then proceeded to tell me at 240 I lost a lot of weight. Pardon me, to me 240 is not good. I also told him of the severe abdominal pains I get all the time. He presribed medication for GERDs and then wants me to get a CATSCAN of my abdomin and bloodwork.  I left the office almost in tears. I hate it when doctors have it in their heads it is me doing something wrong. I was advised to not drink before or after meals, which was not explained before my first surgery and to get away from my desk for lunch for 30 minutes to eat. I work for the government and it is very difficult to get away from desk most of the time. I hate feeling like a failure. I am going to get the bloodwork and CATSCAN down on the 24th before my appointment on the 28th. Let's see what happens this time.  I live in Maryland and I am seriously considering trying to find another surgeon who doesn't make me feel like I am such a failure.

Most Active