Frustrated

rj0274
on 2/25/14 6:05 am - TX
Revision on 07/03/13

I had an RNY revision in June 2013 and lost about 30 lbs.  I have been committed to a religiious gym regimen since last April and already had a good 3 months of working out before the surgery.  Weight continued to fall off until this January when I noticed my weight creep up a pound here and a pound there.  All the new clothes I bouhgt since the seight loss still fit ine, but I'm concerned aboutn the weight gain (about 4-5 pounds since my lowest in December).

I realize that 4-5 pounds are no huge deal, but I'm concerned because that's how the weight gain started after the first RNY in 2005. Most distressing is that I seem to have hit a plateau.  I've increased the intensity of my workouts and am cognizant of calorie and protein intake. I'm a 53 old male and average an intake of about 1500 calories per day and "earn" about 500 calories per day from exercise (according to "MyFitnessPal").  I also intake about 100 grams of protein per day, being careful to get some protein after my workouts.

I thought about returning to the post-surgery diet of soft foods, but I think that would just be a temporary fix that isn't sustainable.  Plus, I may not be getting enough calories.  I eat sevaral small meals throughout the day, each averaging about 300 calories.

Anybody experience anything like this? And if so, how did you overcome this frustration?  I want to break this plateau and see the scale continue going down.

Thanks!

Ladytazz
on 2/25/14 10:43 am

I hate to say this but My Fitness Pal is full of crap.  It gives very high estimates for the amount of calories burned, much higher then reality.  I remember when I got a computer for my bike that calculated calories burned.  At the end of a 10 mile ride it indicated that I had burned about 100 calories.  And I believe it.  MFP would have put the number closer to 500.

The main benefit of exercise isn't the calories burned but the fact that it helps our metabolisms.  But it won't help if you eat back the calories you think you have burned.  Most successful people I know, not hardcore athletes  but just normal doing normal work outs don't eat back the calorie that are supposedly burned.  I don't even count what MFP says I burned and just go by my total intake.  The big mistake I see many make is the belief that they can lose weight with exercise.  It just doesn't work that way for me anyway.  To lose weight I have to eat less, no matter how active I am.  I feel better when I exercise and I think it does help with maintenance but it doesn't help me lose weight.

If you want to break your plateau why don't you try increasing your protein and cutting back on your carbs.  That always worked for me anyway.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

rj0274
on 2/26/14 12:50 am - TX
Revision on 07/03/13

Thanks!  I noticed the calorie burn rate on MFP didn't align with the calorie meter on the exercise bike too.  I appreciate the suggestions.

Most Active