Lap Band to Sleeve Revision

starsinmyeyes
on 2/24/14 4:06 am

I am scheduled to have a lap-band to sleeve revision surgery done April 10th. I was originally banded July 2010 and was pretty successful, losing 175 lbs in 3 years. But over this last year started having several health issues and problems related to the band. After not being able to tolerate certain foods, getting food stuck, PB'ing etc...I went to see my doctor who said my band was too tight. So, I then started back and forth with unfills when too tight, then weight gain. Then fills, good weight loss, then bad symptoms again. It went on like this for a while. I had developed GERD, stomach pain , nausea and was extremely frustrated. So my band was completely deflated. I had an Upper GI and Scope. Was advised by my doctor to have the band taken out, along with scar tissue that had formed a constricture around my stomach (the nasty culprit to my tummy problems), and revise to the gastric sleeve. I am thrilled when I read all the positive things about it, but nervous about some things too. I would love to hear more from those who have had this done and about your experiences. I would like to hear the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. Thanks for reading    

ladygodiva1228
on 2/25/14 11:06 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Post over on the sleeve forum if you haven't already.  Lots of great people over there and you will get your questions answered quicker.  Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

band2sleeverevision
on 3/1/14 2:42 am
VSG on 02/25/13

You will love it.  You will have the restriction of the band without the food intolerance.  If you have acid reflux though, sometimes the sleeve can not resolve that.  Make sure to ask your surgeon if an RNY might not be better since it tends to have a little less issues with reflux.

pineview01
on 3/2/14 7:57 am - Davison, MI

Your story is a very familiar one!  I am one year out with the sleeve.  I had a 4.5 month wait between band removal and sleeving for the stomach to heal as I to had the scar tissue around the band area causing permanent constriction.  I have lost another 50 pounds more than I did with the band.  It is so much easier and more natural.  The sleeve works like I thought the band would and didn't for most of us.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

peanut16
on 3/4/14 8:27 am - Willow Spring, NC

I am having the same type of problems and I am schedule to have my band removed in April too.  I can't wait to have this done for I'm very tired of throwing up and reflux and we can't forget all the weight gain going on too.  My food gets stuck as well.  I chew and chew just like I need to put still can't hold it down.  I just hope that this sleeve will be the best choice I can make.

chicaletta
on 3/5/14 11:20 am
VSG on 04/24/14

I am also scheduled to have my band removed and sleeve surgery in April as well. I can't believe I waited this long to do so. I went for years with a too tight band, stuck food and living on soups and for the last 3 years lost 3 lbs. Had the band loosened and have gained 15 lbs. I am also hoping that the sleeve is the right choice for me. 

peanut16
on 3/6/14 4:43 am - Willow Spring, NC

I do understand about you hoping that this is the right choice for you.  I am hoping the same thing.  Just sick and tired of my band doing everything to make me hate it. I wish you the best and I would like to say in touch with you with this long journey if that is ok with you.

Peanut16

Most Active