Diffferences the second time around

travlinadddict
on 2/19/14 1:20 pm

I am scheduled to have revision surgery on March 20.  My dr is going to remove my blind loop, make my pouch smaller and extend the arm.  I'm interested in hearing from people who have had this done.  Did you find that your results were similar to your original wls as far as speed of loss, recovery time, etc?  Have you had problems keeping it off?

AngelicMythology
on 2/21/14 12:49 pm - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

I was revised from proximal to distal rny in January 2013. I was 235 at time. They left my pouch alone and bypassed more intestines. Right now I'm 153 lbs. I'm still losing just really slowly. Big difference is the amount of weight but I had also had quite a bit more to lose. My recovery was A LOT less painful this time around. My biggest complaint was I was extremely tired for like a month.  Both my original and revision were open. I am struggling with my vitamin d. I take a dry d vitamin too in addition to my other vitamins.  I've heard a lot of mixed results in regards to the distal rny. 

I had quite a bit of intestines. My surgeon said he could see after my revision  why I was struggling with my weight. I would do it again. However there was another post op revision person who had the same surgery as me on the same day with the same surgeon I had met while in the hospital. We have kept in touch and she's only lost around 40 pounds and still has over 100 still to go. 

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

travlinadddict
on 2/25/14 1:14 pm

Thank you for your response.  Do you mind telling me what your original stats were, AngelicMythology?

AngelicMythology
on 2/25/14 11:42 pm - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

Hello. My orginal surgery was open gastric bypass was January 8, 2007. I had started at 285 pounds (day of surgery) and lowest was 135 pounds.  I gained around 10 pounds but was able to maintain 140-145 for quite a few years.  Then I ended up putting on close to 100 pounds rapidly. I had initally hoped it was something maybe that I was doing wrong such as diet or maybe not exercising enough. My pouch from the inital gastric bypass was fine, and he had gave me a few different options. I opted for the distal and had that done on January 21, 2013  I started out at 235 pounds for the revision, and am at 150 pounds at this moment.  I'm still losing but it's extremely slow.  I'm hoping to get back  to around 140 - 145 pounds. 

My big struggle is with vitamin D right now.  I order my dry vitamin D from VitaLady's website. 

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

Most Active