would you do this again?

Linda K.
on 2/15/14 8:21 am - Omaha, NE

This revision(VBG to Total Gastrotomy with Roux-in-Y) was the most difficult surgery I have ever done.  I was in so much pain the first 3 days, I didn't want to move.  I have been dealing with a leak (which is healing nicely), a second stay in the hospital due to inflammation of the scar tissue and pain, and I still have to use my feeding tube as I am still having trouble eating.   I have asked myself-would I have done this surgery f I had known what I would have to go through?  I believe I would have.  Even with all my problems, I can see the light.  I no longer on my diabetes and blood pressure meds.  I have lost 20 pounds.  I am relearning how to eat to live-not live to eat.  How about you?  Would you do it again?

Ladytazz
on 2/15/14 12:33 pm

Sorry you have had such a rough go of it.  Soon, hopefully, this will be a distant memory, much like childbirth.  I had a tough recovery and first few months, too.  A bad case of buyers remorse at about 2 weeks.  Now it is just my new normal.  Fortunately I am  pretty tolerant of most foods and I follow the rules as much as possible, so that helps.

A few weeks ago I had kind of a mini meltdown when I went out to eat and again couldn't handle more then a few bites.  I thought by  now I would be able to eat more normal portions and I still can't.  Most of the time that is okay, even welcome, but for some reason I was just frustrated at eating something really delicious and finding myself full before I was ready to fini****  Oh well, I signed up for it.  I also was kind of feeling bad tonight about not being able to drink with meals,which usually doesn't bother me but I was hungry and thirsty and I had to choose which was a priority and drinking won.  But I really think that if I did drink with meals or soon after that I would probably eat more often since I have a built in reason to not eat until I drink enough fluids to get in my daily allowance.  I also try to stop drinking after dinner so I won't be up all night.  Other then those two issues it really isn't a big deal.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active