Has anyone had revision from band to sleeve as a day surgery?

lovemyhorse
on 2/10/14 12:19 am

Hi All-After months and months of trying to get my crappy insurance to pay for a band to sleeve revision, they still will not approve even with a slipped band, 9 medications for co=morbs, and bmi of 39. My doctors office has proposed that I have my 10 year old band removed, hiatal hernia repaired and conversion to sleeve as a day surgery. Insurance will pay for the band removal and hernia repair so all I will end up paying for is the sleeve itself. Apparently this is turning into a very popular option in Texas. Has anyone done this? I asked about a leak test and pain issues. Leak test is done in the evening before you go home and the dr loads you up with good pain meds inside and out. Anyone??????

DrAceves
on 2/13/14 4:20 am - Mexico

It can be done but in my opinion it is not a safe way to recover from surgery. The first 48 hours after surgery are very important to detect a leak. It takes the body about a day for scar tissue to start forming so a leak test before this is not advisable. There is usually a leak test done at the time of surgery ( in the OR) but after this one, a day is what is recommended for the 2nd leak test. During recovery your doctor is not only checking for leaks; drainage needs to be checked to see what is going on inside, vitals need to be taken, pain levels needs to be accessed, you need to be properly hydrated, etc. Medical staff knows what a normal recovery process should be like but if you are not there , there is no way to know if there is cause for concern or not. If possible insist on staying at the hospital at least 48 hours. Will you be discharge with an IV?

Also know that revision surgeries like the one you are having has a higher chance of a leak than a regular sleeve. 72 hours at the hospital is the minimum I would consider before letting a sleeve patient leave the hospital. This is for their safety and for my peace of mind. Please makes your safety your priority.

Take care,

Dr. Alberto Aceves

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-alberto-aceves/

Most Active