Question s about revisions.,RNY to..,

MistyLynn81
on 2/8/14 9:18 am - LaGrange, KY

Im really considering a revision..  with my original surgery I lost from my highest of 320 to 188.. im 235 now. But in my defense in oct of 2012 I became paralyzed from the waist down thanks to an illness called guillain barre syndrome. I spent 13.5 months in a nursing home too. Im walking again and starting to be able to take steps without the walker so im doing better but the weight wont come back off. I dont eat a bad diet at all. I track my calories on myfitnesspal. I think I remember hearing of a DS surgeon who does revisions here in kentucky but I dont remember his name. If I had thebdistal RNY would they shrink my pouch again or just shorten my guts? Lets talk insurance.. I have medicare and medicaid, do yall thinkbill be able to get them to pay for it? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

MsBatt
on 2/9/14 12:15 am

The RNY-to-DS guy is no longer in KY. However, I'm pretty sure that there's a doc in Nashville, TN who does this. His name is Dr. Hugh Houston.

Revising a proximal RNY to a distal *sometimes* involves shrinking the pouch, but not always. Also, you want to REALLY give this one a lot of thought. You'd still have all the potential pouch and stoma issues, plus even more malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals than with the DS. I suggest you contact Vitalady about this. She and her husband are close to 20 years post-op from distal RNYs. There's a reason they sell vitamins. (*grin*)

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/14 3:47 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

Listen to MsBatt! She knows her stuff! I usually don't reply but I wanted to tell you I'm sorry you had Guillan Barre syndrome but I'm so happy to hear you are doing better now! This touches my heart because I know someone who had this after gastric bypass as well. It's apparently a rare complication that sometimes seems to happen after RNY but they don't know why or how? Anyway, the person I know is doing a lot better now too but never has gained the ability to walk again. I'm so happy for you that you are walking! You are a miracle and I hope you can get the revision to DS! I think it will help you out a lot!!

Most Active