Question about Revisions

ItalianHeat
on 2/8/14 7:39 am, edited 2/8/14 7:40 am

I have a question about revisions? Are they only performed when you have a problem after surgery down the line? I have gained half my weight back and looked into a revision with a qualified doctor. Because my pouch looked good, there was really nothing for him to revise. He suggested I see another doctor for what's known as the 'Apollo Procedure'. It's an endiscopic tightening. Anyone ever hear of this and if so, what can you tell me? Thanks!

Ladytazz
on 2/8/14 9:17 am

Save your time and money.  I haven't heard of anyone with long term success with the Apollo procedure or any other procedure to tighten the stoma, including ROSE, stomaphix and whatever else they are using.

He said your pouch looked good but if he is talking about the Apollo I assume he found your stoma had stretched?  Find out for sure.  The only way to resolve that would be a revision to another procedure or a complete redo of your RNY.  Run from any surgeon that suggests a lap band as well.  Like switching seats on the Titanic.

If your surgeon confirms that your stoma is fine then you really need to look at your eating habits.  Revision or not, you won't be successful unless you address your eating.  If your problem is refined carbs, sugar, bread, cake, etc then really no WLS can help you because  those are absorbed 100% no matter what the procedure.  If the problem is a sluggish metabolism then a DS would be a good fit for you as it seems to help people with slow metabolisms but you would still need to limit the refined carbs.

If you eat well but a lot then a restriction only procedure may be what you need but it is hard to find an experienced surgeon who is good at revising a pouch into a sleeve as it involves putting the stomach back together and then making a sleeve.  That is the same for a DS.  You need a very experienced surgeon to do that revision right.  The people here will hellp you find one that can help you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active